• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vari-Lok Progressive Differentals????

If I can get one for $50 at the local pull-a-part, then install it with $50 worth of ring gear bolts and bearings/shims, it's definitely worth it. At that point, if the clutches wear out, go get another one...

Certainly not worth it at full price.

I know for a fact some WJs got a d35... a really weird one, semifloat non c clip with a very strange brake backing plate and bearing retention plate bolt pattern. Learned that the wrong way while trying to pull donor parts for a rear disc swap before I knew the difference between a ZJ and a WJ :dunce:

I'm going to be running 235s and 3.55s with an AX15. First gear is already going to be damn near useless on the road, if I wanted to spend money on it I might put 3.73s in it but I'm already wasting way too much on this turd as it is.
I was speaking that if it had a D44, it's probably an aluminum one.

I too am planning on 3.55s and 235s with an AX15. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the gearing.
I ran similar on the road as DD in the 87 and felt it was perfect. The 3.07s were a stupid idea.

as far as rebuilding it, it's just a clutch pack. Someone assembled it in a factory. If you can find the OEM for the clutch discs I don't see why it couldn't be rebuilt.

the spicer manual says "not field servicable"
so that sounds to me like it requires a special tool to be made.
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/X5001-CVSP.pdf

Last edited:
Right now it's on 205/70R15s (25") so until I get the 235s, it's gonna be comically deep geared with the manual and 3.55s.

Oh yeah... the oil plenum is needed on the front, too. Part number 05012725AA.

I believe srmitchell was saying the problem is no one makes the clutch packs aside from the factory, and they only sell them as a preassembled carrier - I sure can't find a factory clutch pack part number anywhere, anyways.

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,12323

the guts and tuning one at a volvo rally site.

love the cheap assed volvo guys with rear D30's!

I see no reason that the clutches could not be easily replaced. It looks like it comes apart easily. As long as the gear oil pump isn't damaged/within tolerance you could ust slap new bits in the clutch and do it easy.

Right now it's on 205/70R15s (25") so until I get the 235s, it's gonna be comically deep geared with the manual and 3.55s.

Oh yeah... the oil plenum is needed on the front, too. Part number 05012725AA.

I believe srmitchell was saying the problem is no one makes the clutch packs aside from the factory, and they only sell them as a preassembled carrier - I sure can't find a factory clutch pack part number anywhere, anyways.

picture of factory disc with a part number

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/gerodisc/

I can't believe that dana would have made a specific clutch just for these units. I'd be willing to bet it's a stock clutch part used elsewhere in the dana ecosystem.

If they last that long it may be a moot point. I can't find anything with that part number (AC166301?) but they might be out there.

Here as in a lot of places this winter we had a lot of snow and I to must admit my 04 Overland was amazing in it. I live in the country on a farm and many times it takes some time for the road district to get to our road. I broke through several 2 1/2-3' drifts after a 13" snow we received the next morning first one on it for about 3/4 of a mile to main road.

For a non lifted stock 4x4 SUV few could match it IMHO. It just works maybe not like the Detroit Lockers in the XJ but for a DD very sweet. As far as the 3.73's ideal for me along with the 4.7HO motor makes it ideal for towing my car hauler with the XJ on it.

On the road they are fairly affective, off road not so much. Countless times the wife's wj was left with 1 front and 1 rear spinning in the air in the rocks. Like every other limited slip, great in the snow(I even passed a snow plow crossing Nevada one night cause there's no way I'm crossing the entire state at 30mph), but inadequate under heavy off road use. The pump does put the spiders heavily offset and thus the different length shafts. Already swapped in an Aussie in the rear 44a, now swapping that out to a 14b, but she's on 35's and we wheel trails like the rubicon, fordyce, and the dusy.

Back