• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

zj disc swap

toplessxj89

NAXJA Forum User
i have searched and found a lot of usefull information on how to do the zj disc swap. i found a 1997 grand with the d44a with disc brakes at the local u pull it. i am going to pull the whole rear and remove the ebrake cables and cut the brake lines.

is there anything else i need to pull such as the master cylinder or any other braking components. i have a 1989 xj. and the brakes are going on a xj d44

I ran mine without the prop valve and it performed well. I had a 91, so I am not sure what year you're installing it on.

You need:
- Mount brackets
- dust shields (optional)
- inner e-brake assembly (optional)
- e-brake cables (optional)
- calipers
- rotors
- caliper soft lines
- pads and shoes

That said, I installed mine with no e-brake stuff at all, I got mount brackets, dust shields, soft lines, and calipers. Then I bought new rotors and pads, and that was it!

Personally I didn't want the ebrake. I eliminated the handle long ago and never used it anyways.

Changes the proportioning of front to rear braking.

for example, you might have one now that is 70% front/30% rear and the ZJ one might be 60%/40%

I just threw #'s out, those aren't actual.

toplessxj89 said:
i have searched and found a lot of usefull information on how to do the zj disc swap. i found a 1997 grand with the d44a with disc brakes at the local u pull it. i am going to pull the whole rear and remove the ebrake cables and cut the brake lines.

is there anything else i need to pull such as the master cylinder or any other braking components. i have a 1989 xj. and the brakes are going on a xj d44

don't forget that you will have to re-drill the mounting holes on the backing plates and clearance the center axle hole for the bearing and seals, and will need a spacer on the outside of the seal to make up the differences in thickness of the backing plates. just finished mine yesterday :clap:

i know that i had to clearance out the center axle hole but i thought the holes were the same on the d44. and i can get the spacer from the dealer correct?

i am still going to go ahead with it. drilling holes arent a big deal. i have a drill press i just have to measure twice drill once. its ussualy the other way around lol

besthaticouldo said:
will these install directly onto a stock 95 rear end?

they are a near bolt in on either a D35 or an Chrys 8.25. for these axles, you would have to slightly enlarge the center hole and elongate the holes for the bolts on the axle housing flange (grab those bolts too as they need to be slightly longer then the ones on our drum axles).

i installed zj brakes on my 01 XJ 8.25. the donor axle was a D44A.

besthaticouldo said:
will these install directly onto a stock 95 rear end?

If you want the parts, there were four rear disc-equipped ZJs sitting side-by-side in the Anaheim Pick-a-Part. And this coming weekend is 1/2 price.

toplessxj89 said:
i know that i had to clearance out the center axle hole but i thought the holes were the same on the d44. and i can get the spacer from the dealer correct?

i am still going to go ahead with it. drilling holes arent a big deal. i have a drill press i just have to measure twice drill once. its ussualy the other way around lol
clamp it really well. lets just say i am on my second set, and a machine shop milled this set for me. you can get the axle flange with correct spacer built in, but that has to be drilled too. call up terraflex and see if they will sell you a set of spacers from their disk kit (they did for me). my axle was from an '89 MJ and they are the "old" pattern, vs the "new" pattern that the ZJ's are. terraflex lists the "new" kit as 91 and on.

tomcat said:
don't forget that you will have to re-drill the mounting holes on the backing plates and clearance the center axle hole for the bearing and seals, and will need a spacer on the outside of the seal to make up the differences in thickness of the backing plates. just finished mine yesterday :clap:

I'm trying to picture what you are talking about with the spacer. Do you have a non-c clip D35?

Back