• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to bend the end of your tail pipe

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Can't believe it but the new shackles are running into the end of my exhaust so the stock XJ is having it's first clearance issue.

My best idea is to protect the tank with a welding blanket and heat red hot where I want the bend and then stick a 2ft pry bar in there and see if I can get it to move. I don't have a serious torch so the best heat I'd have available is just propane or this new MAPP gas, which are about the same thing. I'm not sure if plain propane would get hot enough. Can this be done with anything short of an acetylene torch?

And how close is too close routing it by the gas tank? If I don't bend it down some it'll end up being a bout 2" away.

Driving off-road usually does a number on the end of the tail pipe.

Back in the day, I cut off the pipe so the exhaust ended before the shackle. Later on, when I replaced my muffler, the shop put in new piping and installed it to easily go around the shackle.

Cut tail pipe. Put on bent piece of pipe.

This is the only way to do it on the vehicle. Trying to heat it hot enough to bend, right by the tank, is asking for a disaster.

Back in the day, I cut off the pipe so the exhaust ended before the shackle. Later on, when I replaced my muffler, the shop put in new piping and installed it to easily go around the shackle.

I did the same thing. Unfortunately, I also found that the hot exhaust gasses made short work of the bushing in said shackle.

After lifting and hearing the clunks, I knew it was rubbing. Seen where mine was rubbing. Smacked it a couple of times with a ball peen hammer. Lost 75.6 HP denting the exhaust. Won't do that again.

JK... Didn't notice anything except quietness. It will be fine until the exhaust needs to be replaced.

I installed a gibson cat back in my 94 as well as a zj tank skid , trailer hitch( which is stated in gibsons instructions that it does not fit with) and HD no lift shackle reloaction brackets and RC extended shackles. found out the 2.5 inch pipe ,as well has everything else was a tight fit. ended up taking the pipe and putting it in a press to flated the pipe and turn it into more of an oval shape where the shackle to leaf bolt is, also had to put the bolt in so that the nut is out. The pipe was rattling, so its bolted to the tank skid with a exhuast clamp. its a tight fit and the shackle hits the pipe while articualting but it clears 80% of the time. Only time will tell if the heat does damage to the bushing.

Back