• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is it possible the ABS is pulling my XJ left when braking?

Freitascherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I Have a 1992 4.0 Auto XJ Limited, that always had this problem of pulling to the left when braking.

I never lost much time with it, because it is a car that I only use to off road... but it is something that every time I use, pisses me off. So, I bit the bullet and bought everything new. And I mean everything! Front Rotors, Calipers, Pads, stainless pipes front and rear, new interiors for the rear drums as well as shoes. Everything brake related is new, except the master cylinder and the ABS Pump.

Brake fluid is new, and the abs pump as been bled with the Snap ON Red Brck ( MT2500), and the rest of the system has been bled several times with a pressure machine and also the more old fashioned way (with the help of a friend) for good measure.

Now, guess what?

Yes, it still pulls left.

And, no it isn't steering related... I have tested the car on rollers and have a 25% to 35% difference in brake power from left to the right side ( front brakes ), in which left>right obviously.

Oh, and there are no obstructions or bent pipes.

So, the only thing that i can think of (since the possibility of the master cylinder doing this is near 0 ) is that my ABS pump is faulty. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?? Any ideias?

thank you in advance for any input you may offer,

best,

Hi guys,

I Have a 1992 4.0 Auto XJ Limited, that always had this problem of pulling to the left when braking.

I never lost much time with it, because it is a car that I only use to off road... but it is something that every time I use, pisses me off. So, I bit the bullet and bought everything new. And I mean everything! Front Rotors, Calipers, Pads, stainless pipes front and rear, new interiors for the rear drums as well as shoes. Everything brake related is new, except the master cylinder and the ABS Pump.

Brake fluid is new, and the abs pump as been bled with the Snap ON Red Brck ( MT2500), and the rest of the system has been bled several times with a pressure machine and also the more old fashioned way (with the help of a friend) for good measure.

Now, guess what?

Yes, it still pulls left.

And, no it isn't steering related... I have tested the car on rollers and have a 25% to 35% difference in brake power from left to the right side ( front brakes ), in which left>right obviously.

Oh, and there are no obstructions or bent pipes.

So, the only thing that i can think of (since the possibility of the master cylinder doing this is near 0 ) is that my ABS pump is faulty. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?? Any ideias?

thank you in advance for any input you may offer,

best,

have you taken apart and cleaned the brake caliper insides ?

a rusted piece inside could cause this. like a bad/warped caliper piston

otherwise I would say its a warped rotor.
the way the abs pump is designed. unless one of the pipes is bent/damaged *you said they are not* I would not believe it can happen.

have you taken apart and cleaned the brake caliper insides ?

a rusted piece inside could cause this. like a bad/warped caliper piston

otherwise I would say its a warped rotor.
the way the abs pump is designed. unless one of the pipes is bent/damaged *you said they are not* I would not believe it can happen.

Calipers are new, as well as the rotors.

I did some digging for you. I was wrong.
apparently it is indeed possible for the pump to fail. but it is extremely uncommon.
The only way it can fail is if one of the passageways has corroded internally.
so you could replace it.
have you done a good flush ?

after all the looking I did. almost all of them were a bad caliper or warped rotor.

I did some digging for you. I was wrong.
apparently it is indeed possible for the pump to fail. but it is extremely uncommon.
The only way it can fail is if one of the passageways has corroded internally.
so you could replace it.
have you done a good flush ?

after all the looking I did. almost all of them were a bad caliper or warped rotor.

Did you actually read what was posted?

I'd say the quick dirty method would be to make some lines to bypass the abs and see what happens.

I'd say the quick dirty method would be to make some lines to bypass the abs and see what happens.

I’m with him. I’m used to no abs. Actually its more of a pain for me on the jeep. I have enough going on I don’t need the abs doing unpredictable things. On a tow rig it’s invaluable. Just bypass it and give it a shot. If it works and you can drive w/o abs your fine. If you need it replace the pump and try it.

Did you replace the 2 front flexible lines -- I didn't see them listed in the Original post

A bad rubber line could easily cause what you are explaining

1992... Is this the "BENDIX 9" ABS?

True about the rubber brake lines.

I have not heard about a early abs failing like this but I suppose it’s possible especially if it’s sat up awhile.
The one the rollers test, it only shows a pull to the left on breaking? Coasting and acceleration is fine?
I was wondering is any other part of the drive line might be causing it, by binding or maybe putting power to the left side.
If it coasts fine I doubt the drivetrain is involved.

Thing about those early XJ abs is they were junk that once they failed made the jeep unsafe. So bad Chrysler reached a deal with the government to warranty the ABS pump for the life of the vehicle which they now say is obsolete, and no parts are available for it. Most XJ owners with abs retrofit it with a normal booster and master cylinder, which has its own challenges but usually fixes the Jeep for street use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m with him. I’m used to no abs. Actually its more of a pain for me on the jeep. I have enough going on I don’t need the abs doing unpredictable things. On a tow rig it’s invaluable. Just bypass it and give it a shot. If it works and you can drive w/o abs your fine. If you need it replace the pump and try it.

it's my second XJ, first did not had ABS and in wet conditions with mud tires was a nightmare! So i really want to keep my abs working.

True about the rubber brake lines.

I have not heard about a early abs failing like this but I suppose it’s possible especially if it’s sat up awhile.
The one the rollers test, it only shows a pull to the left on breaking? Coasting and acceleration is fine?
I was wondering is any other part of the drive line might be causing it, by binding or maybe putting power to the left side.
If it coasts fine I doubt the drivetrain is involved.

Thing about those early XJ abs is they were junk that once they failed made the jeep unsafe. So bad Chrysler reached a deal with the government to warranty the ABS pump for the life of the vehicle which they now say is obsolete, and no parts are available for it. Most XJ owners with abs retrofit it with a normal booster and master cylinder, which has its own challenges but usually fixes the Jeep for street use.

Did you replace the 2 front flexible lines -- I didn't see them listed in the Original post

A bad rubber line could easily cause what you are explaining

Rubber lines have been exchanged with reenforced braided lines. everything on the brake system is new apart from master cylinder and abs pump.

Ok it’s not a Bendix 9...
what about ABS computer & ABS wheel speed sensors? Abs Relay?
Looks like booster and masters are readily available. Don’t know if the pumps are rebuilt by anybody

If the speed sensor was reading wrong on the left side wouldn’t it cause over braking on that side?

Last edited:
While that would disable the abs, if it has a hydraulic problem it will do nothing.

Exactly. If the problem goes away then you know where to look...

(Says the guy who just spent an hour changing a rear wheel hub only to realize it was the little ball-joint dust shield scraping against the rotor.)

Back