• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

(94) 4.0 LTD Coolant loss-weird

SIBERIAN82

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep is losing Coolant - clean(green) and it is emerging from the bell housing cover plate.
Compression figures are good and usual snags such as coolant sensor and leaking hoses are also discounted.
Have looped coolant i/p-o/p to check matrix and used a mirror to check top rear of motor for leaks and cylinder head freeze plug-also ok

Have not yet had pleasure of a stripdown on this motor so am not aware of core plug whereabouts and am thinking there may be one on the block maybe behind the fly/torque wheel.

Has any -one experienced the same problem and maybe shed a little knowledge this way .
Regards
Lee

You ID'd the likely culprit already; there's a plug on the rear of the block.

Tks for affirmation-and have you heard of this snag before only was doubting myself when a jeep specialst here in UK said that it was highly unlikely as they had never cme across this problem b4 and suggeted that they pressure test it for around 70 dollars-well i already know the result as ive a got a leak.
Regards
Lee

It does not happen too often, I've only heard of a couple in the last 5 years or so but there are either one or two plugs back there. You are going to have to drop the tranny and you will have to pull the flexplate/flywheel to get it.
Might want to have a look at the rest of the freeze plugs at the same time. When refilling the system use distilled water with the antifreeze.

You've definitely got a leak from the freeze plug at the back of the block. There are two plugs but one is to cover the rear camshaft bearing.
It might be easier to remove the engine rather than drop the tranny to replace the rusted plug. While you're there, replace the others as well with Pioneer brass plugs. They won't corrode unlike the OEM steel plugs.

Back