• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Late model NP242 rear seal keep blowing

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a rebuilt NP242. Late model for a 1999 XJ.
I've replaced the rear output seal 4 times now because it keeps leaking.
Each time the inside of the seal seems to break off, as if the seal is contacting the snap ring that holds the output bearing to the shaft.
Is there supposed to be a washer behind the seal to give the seal a flat surface to ride on so that it doesnt get damaged by the snap ring?

Thanks!

The seal should not be riding on any surface but the driveshaft.

Is there excessive play in the output shaft?
Driveshaft yoke worn out so it wobbles on output shaft?
Too much lift with a stock shaft so it doesn't engage the output shaft far enough?
Is the vent line for the tcase plugged?

There doesn't seem to be much if any slop in the shaft.

The yoke doesn't wobble. I do have a SYE installed.

The vent line is definitely not clogged. I can blow through it when I remove the full plug.

All I can think of is that the spring for the seal must keep falling off. Maybe that makes the seal wear out faster? So I rtv'ed the spring in place on a new seal. Next time it fails I'll try this seal with the rtv'ed spring.

I have had the spring fall off when driving the seal into place

Well I just installed the seal. I used some rtv around the spring to keep it from falling off. Even when dried, the rtv doesn't seem to affect the seals flexibility .

I'll report back when it fails.

Back