• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comment on my rails!

csudman

NAXJA Forum User
Not welded up yet. 3/16" 2x4, 1/8" 2x2, 1/8" 1x1 for pinch.
I plan on puttin 8 grade 8's through the pinch. 4 self tappers per mount. Liek i said its not welded yet so i can change if anyones got any great ideas. This is my first shot at fabrication. Not to bad huh?
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
1.jpg

Just a couple of questions....before you weld.
How much does each side weigh?
Have you noted that the front support arm (to the unibody ) can be shorter than the rear? This brings it up nice and tight to the body....
I like the detail work with the front....

Jump This said:
Just a couple of questions....before you weld.
How much does each side weigh?
Have you noted that the front support arm (to the unibody ) can be shorter than the rear? This brings it up nice and tight to the body....
I like the detail work with the front....
Its tapered on both ends. The front is 3/16" shorter. Thanks!

Mine taper in towards the body at the rear. From 4" wide to about 2" at the rear wheel well. I am convinced that if they didn't, that new dent would still be on that rock instead of the back door.

just two cents worth

T Bent said:
Mine taper in towards the body at the rear. From 4" wide to about 2" at the rear wheel well. I am convinced that if they didn't, that new dent would still be on that rock instead of the back door.
just two cents worth

Well its a litte late to do anything about the taper now. Also eventualy Ill be building my exo off the rear of the rail. That should keep those nasty rocks away form my body.

I question the 1/8" tubing used. I mean, different metal thicknesses makes it difficult to lay a solid bead without overheating the thin stuff. I used 3/16 throughout my rails and they've taken a serious beatdown, I have gouges in them that are probably 1/8" deep. Why skimp on something that needs to be stout?

Dude,your pics suck!Im still trying to figure out what you built?Are they 4"high and 4"across w/ plating?

Sorry about the pics, took them w. my camera phone and emailed them to myself. In the dark. Tubing is 2x4 3/16 thick.

In response to Vintage. I figure Ill be hitting the rails befor the connecting arms and they only have 2" of surface exposed versus the entire length of the 2x4 rails. If that makes any sence. I might upgrade them if I can get some steel before sun.

1x1 angle for the pinch seam isn't enough in my opinion. My first rails I built were with that and it flexes too much. If you are gonna use angle, use bigger and thicker! Just my $.02 They look good though, nice detail work! JP

think about putting a 3rd mount in the center ... thats how mine were done... and they've taken a real ass whippin... havent moved at all.. and my rockers are still pretty ....

dave said:
think about putting a 3rd mount in the center

I didn't put a third in the center because most of the manufactured ones don'e use them. My understanding was that the pinch seam takes most of the weight and distributs it across the enitre length. If I get a consesus that this is needed then it will be done. Also what about a short leg from my rail to the pinch sean rail in the middle? About 1 1/2" long.

JKTXJ said:
1x1 angle for the pinch seam isn't enough in my opinion.

I used 1x1 Square tubing. Not angle.

KarmirXJ said:
very nice looking rails...

are those the extended kind? so you can 'step' on them to reach the roof? or get in more easily?

They stick out about 2 1/2" past the rocker, I guess you could stand ont them for that. I just wanted door coverage:cool:

Last edited:
Back