• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A public service announcement.

Rowan Lake

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a 92 XJ for a few years.
Less than 200,000 miles. Runs well. And it's basically my camping go to. I've loaded it with all the stuff so I can just hop in and go. Well, after not having the chance to go for quite some time, like over a year, even though I drove the Jeep around the block a few times, sitting for that amount of time really messes up I feel system, including tank and pump.
So, my unsolicited advice to anyone with a vehicle that sits without being used for over a month....
Either drain the tank, drive or run it until it's empty, or use your imagination and come up with a way to use the vehicle.
Pulling a fuel tank, cleaning it, replacing the fuel pump, all the rusty hardware, and doing that when you thought you were going to be able to go play in the mountains, is not fun or cheap.

Or simply pour some fuel stabilizer in the tank, run the engine to circulate the additive throughout the fuel system.

I think the biggest problem is methanol. It is hygroscopic, which is to say it collects water. You don't want that.

An empty tank may be worse for water accumulation, particularly if your gas cap or vent system allows any exchange of air.

There are places where you can get methanol-free fuel. Phillips 66 and Maverick are options which are local to me. It may be worth checking where boats or airplanes get their fuel.

A full tank of methanol-free fuel with a stabilizer added may be a better option.

I think the biggest problem is methanol. It is hygroscopic, which is to say it collects water. You don't want that.

An empty tank may be worse for water accumulation, particularly if your gas cap or vent system allows any exchange of air.

There are places where you can get methanol-free fuel. Phillips 66 and Maverick are options which are local to me. It may be worth checking where boats or airplanes get their fuel.

A full tank of methanol-free fuel with a stabilizer added may be a better option.

Just want to comment that its ethanol that is used.

And it's so nice that we're forced to use gasahol because of laws written by people who've never had dirt under their nails... It's said to reduce our "dependance on foreign oil", but it's pretty much a wash. I think they just want to keep people from hoarding fuel...

And it's so nice that we're forced to use gasahol because of laws written by people who've never had dirt under their nails... It's said to reduce our "dependance on foreign oil", but it's pretty much a wash. I think they just want to keep people from hoarding fuel...

All you need to do is interact with a modern gas can and you will know all you need to know about those who know what's best for us.

Government by retarded, drunken chimpanzees throwing darts at a board would be less harmful, not to mention far less expensive, than what we have now.

People have a tendency to blame fuel system problems on ethanol. 10% ethanol fuel is not a problem. I've been running E85 in one of my vehicles continuously for 13 years. Lately, its been sitting for months at a time between drives. Zero corrosion issues. My XJ, which runs gasoline with 10% ethanol, was on jackstands from November to April. Fired right up after six months. Its just not good to let gasoline sit for a year, whether or not it has 10% ethanol.

Does it really matter now, almost all the new vehicles being made now are electric !!!

Yeah, but some of us still drive vehicles that are 25 years old.

Your missing the point! They are going to make it so hard to drive a vehicle that has a combustion engine so pick the right battle!

Your missing the point! They are going to make it so hard to drive a vehicle that has a combustion engine so pick the right battle!

Gasoline cars will be on the road in large amounts for at least the next 20 years. Too many barriers to switching to all electric faster than that. For now, its mainly an activity of the upper-middle class and above that can afford them and have a garage or dedicated parking for overnight charging.

For those who live in rural areas electric is not feasible. See Wyoming.

None of us have anything to worry about with respect to being able to drive gasoline vehicles until we're dead. While manufacturers and laws will shift to electric vehicles, it's not feasible to ban existing gas cars in our lifetime. Most people buy new vehicles every year or 3. The gains on emissions will come from those and the rest of us will be a drop in the bucket but you can't force people who can't afford a new car to give up what they have, and no one will care anyway. The majority of drivers don't care what they're driving, and due to that the shift to emissions free vehicles will be 70% effective which is plenty good, leaving the rest of us alone with our XJs.

It may get hard to find a gas station in say 50 years, but I won't be around then. I do plan on electrifying a YJ as an in town vehicle for a fun engineering project, and use the XJ until I'm dead.

They know they can't ban vehicles, the thought right now is a "gross polluter tax" on gas!!!

Back