• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy,I'm new to this

CherokeeMike

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm pretty good with suspension stuff, but never done a lifted vehicle before. I've owned 2 Stangs w/ suspension upgrades, a Focus w/ a full road race suspension, and 3 mini trucks with airride(more that weren't mine though), but now I'd like to lift my Cherokee, but don't know what lift to go with. I've decided on a 4.5" lift and 33's for sure, but who should I use. This is going to be a daily driver/weekend toy. I'm really looking at the Rusty's Offroad kit or the Rough Country kit. I've heard good and bad about them both, but I just really want the opinions of you guys who've used either of these, or if you have any suggestions that are around the same price range I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

-Mike

I've used Rough Country on a YJ and now on my XJ. Can't complain about the value. I would go for the full leaf pack if you go with RC, as there seems to be some concern about sagging (makes since to me...adding one leaf to a 10-15 year old set and expecting longevity doesn't make sense).

RC's customer service is tremendous, always helpful and can answer most questions (don't work for them...but called several times during my install).

My opinion and as the saying goes...everyone has one.

REMEMBER: PB blaster several times and days before installing!!

I personally would stray away from Rustys stuff. Issues with customer service, crappy parts, and shipping are some of the things. Do a search on their stuff. Some like it, some dont. I havent ordered from them, mainly because I dont want to get screwed on the problems. My .02 on that.

Id look at the Rubicon Express 4.5 kit with full leafs. Maybe a bit more pricy than the others, but you will get quality components and customer service to go with it. Thier stuff is tried and true, alot of people use thier products. My .02 again.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I really appreciate it. I was kinda iffy about the Rusty's stuff because I've heard the same things you just told me from other people also. I've looked at the Rubicon stuff and just can't justify their prices; my buddy had their 6.5" longarm kit with 2" spacers and 2" lift shackles in the back and did not like any of it at all. He said he'd never buy from them again. He never really said why, but he's owned quite a few lifted vehicles since I've known him and he's done all the work himself, so I trust his judgement. I think I'll just go with the Rough Country stuff. It's affordable and it seems to be better then I'd anticipated it to be. Thanks again.

what is your budget? you could put together your own lift. I have the 4.5" RE lift and while I like it and it works well, i'm in the process of getting pieces from variouse manufacturers to better suite my needs. What type of wheeling are you going to be doing?

I've got rustys 4.5" and been happy with it so far, and my girlfriend has got rc 4.5". Both seem very simuler in performance. I have had no problems with rustys service but thats just me. thats my .02

I went with the Rubicon Express lift myself. But I have bought other parts from Rusty's and have had no problems with any of them. The Track bar I got from Rusty's was better then what RE had at a far better price.

So do your own reseach. Read some write ups from differant sites, and wheeling magazins.

A lift never ends your always improving, and adding more to make your truck better.

if your a little more technically inclined, you could always do the s10 rear leaf bastard pack and simply buy new springs (you'd have to pick up your own hardware though) saves alot of money, but you can never be sure how much you will get out of a bastard pack (i got 3.5"). otherwise, i've heard rough country is good if you get the full leaf pack.

Spedly: I really just plan on sticking to mild trails, creekbeds, and things like that, some mud, nothing major though, no rockcrawling or anything like that. At least not while it's my dd also. My budget is kinda up in the air right now, but definitely not in RE territory. I could get the RC 6.5" lift for what the RE 4" lift goes for. Right now, I'm trying to sell my Ranger, and if I get what I'm asking out of it, I should have around $2000 to spend on my lift, wheels, tires, and maybe even a winch.(I work for a tire distributor, so the wheels and tires will be super cheap) I figure for the wheels and tires I plan on running it'll be around $700 my cost, if I get the RC lift it's $730 shipped, and I could find a winch for a couple hundred. Or I could always just save the extra for future upgrades...
Serveck: I'd rather just do a full kit for now, I could always piece something else together later to upgrade it further. And I'm for sure going with a full leaf pack when i order.

you will regret buying a full kit, and also regret using rc, my first cherokee, i bought a 4.5" rc lift from there site, i regret it, rode terrible, im now on my second xj (owned a yota and fsj in between) i think im building this one way better then the other was thought out, although its cheap for rc, you can put together a kit for less then the price, right now, im putting together a short arm 6.5 mostly of used parts, so far i got 200 into it with 6.5 springs, and my 6.5 short arms (all 4) im most likely goin to spend 100 on coils, 60 on brake lines, and 100 on shocks, if you think it out thats about 600, which is cheaper the alot of the 6.5 kits go. Matt :piratefla

I love my rusty's 3 inch. RC does have great service but I think rusty's parts are better. So if service is key go with RC if not call rusty up. CALL HIM do not order online.

Also take into labor into your consideration unless you're doing it yourself, also remember about regearing. I bet you're running 33's with that setup regear job s around my area are around 5-600$ per axle.

NateST said:
Also take into labor into your consideration unless you're doing it yourself, also remember about regearing. I bet you're running 33's with that setup regear job s around my area are around 5-600$ per axle.

I'm doing the work myself, and yes I'm going to be running 295/75-16 which are almost equal to 33x12.50, they are about a 1/2" taller, but 1/2" narrower and running them on a 16x8 rim. Regearing is no problem, I have a mechanic friend who can do it for me on the cheap cheap.

if you'e done air ride suspensions in the past (linked?)
why not build your own?
you should have fab experience.

Or...buy some long arms up front, link the rear and bag it you could make a killer system if you know what your doing and ride quality could be awesome

Back