• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chevy TRE taper same as Ford TRE taper??

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Just about finished aquiring parts for the 50 and putting them together. Last couple things I gotta do are steering related. I want to use the Blazer TREs that have the hole in one of 'em for the draglink to go to(originally intended for a steering stabilizer mount). What I need to know is if these will bolt into my ford F-150 knuckles(late 70's vintage) or if I'll need to modify them in some way. Thanks

Ary

First off, that TRE you are talking about has a very small tapered hole. Thats a good thing because if you want to mount your draglink on the front of the TRE, it is tapered the wrong way. You will have to ream out the hole to fit any standard type TRE. I know because I am using that on my HP D44 build. The reamers run from $40 to $80 depending on where you get it. I wish I could find one to borrow/rent local in Colorado, otherwise I guess I'm going to have to fork over the $$$. LOL

old_man said:
First off, that TRE you are talking about has a very small tapered hole. Thats a good thing because if you want to mount your draglink on the front of the TRE, it is tapered the wrong way. You will have to ream out the hole to fit any standard type TRE. I know because I am using that on my HP D44 build. The reamers run from $40 to $80 depending on where you get it. I wish I could find one to borrow/rent local in Colorado, otherwise I guess I'm going to have to fork over the $$$. LOL

I know I'll have to ream the hole in the TRE to fit the DLE. I'm talking about the taper in the knuckles. Can I use Chevy TREs in Ford knuckles without reaming the knuckles?? Thanks

Ary

The taper is the same, the holes are sized differently, though. You'll have to ream the Ford holes a bit larger to accept the Chevy TRE.

CRASH

CRASH said:
The taper is the same, the holes are sized differently, though. You'll have to ream the Ford holes a bit larger to accept the Chevy TRE.

CRASH

Thanks

old_man said:
I wish I could find one to borrow/rent local in Colorado, otherwise I guess I'm going to have to fork over the $$$. LOL

I'll rent you mine for $20 a day plus shipping from Yewtaaw.....

old_man said:
I wish I could find one to borrow/rent local in Colorado, otherwise I guess I'm going to have to fork over the $$$. LOL

I'll rent you mine for $20 a day plus shipping from Yewtaaw.....

Seeing as how I can buy one for $40-60, I think I'll pass. Or maybe I'll buy one and go into business.

Back