• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift question

lonecountryboy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have $400 to spend on a lift. What is the most lift I can get that is not a pos? And I need to replace the shocks and trackbar with that also. I was looking at rusty's stuff but I have heard so many negatives about them I am leery of using anything from them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:patriot:

for that much money you will have to get creative to get much.
the track bar alone will probly cost you about 100$

you can swap in some V8 zj coils for an extra inch, then do a two inch budget boost.
you can get the boost with shocks

Rough country is pretty good price wise. check out there ebay store, its normaly cheaper then their site. for the extra inch to make the rear even with the front Id say do your own add a leaf. I think s10 leafs will work.

Last edited:
Rough Country has the cheapest complete lifts. You can get the 4.5" kit with shocks for $450. No trackbar included. I would say go to the junkyard and get a trackbar there if you absolutely need one.

Well according to rough country they have a complete 3" lift for $345 and a new trackbar from rubicon express is $164 so for a $110 more I will have what I need. My question now is what kind of problems if any are there with the rough country lifts?

I put my RC 3" lift on a few weeks ago and love it. I should have gone with the 4.5 but I'm adding spacers and adding in one of my MJ leafs to get it up. Rides a little rough, but it's a lifted jeep not a cushy car.

Not bad at all, should have gone with 32's.

2989754841_b8378b3c21_o.jpg

Did you put in an adjustable track bar and or a t-case drop or sye kit? With that set up do you have the stock gears? How much did it affect your milage?

No SYE and no vibes. I drove it for a few weeks before I put my adj trackbar on. It drove just fine, though didn't flex it with the stocker on. It dropped my milage maybe 2mpg at the most. Yeah stockers for now.

Only problem I have with the RC 4.5 is even with extended shackles they are still vertical (shackles) with the new spring pack. Could ride smoother with a little longer spring. I am hoping that the springs will settle some what and let them tilt back a little.
But I really don't mind snice it still redes better than my YJ did with a 4" spring over...

I'd wait till you can swing the extra $100 or so it will take to go with the RC 4.5" instead of the 3". In the long run you will be that much higher and have teh ability to add shackles later. Also that will easily accomidate 33s if you would like them on your rig. I have a RE 4.5" with 33s. There's more than enough room uner there.

Good luck with your build

What part of Oregon are you in? I'm in Beaverton. Maybe you can come out and take a look at my rig and see what the 4.5" looks like with 33s. If you give me notice I can get my buddy to meet us with his XJ that has a 3" and 31s. For comparison sake.

Talk to you later.

Matt

I hear that. Mine is killing me. I have the stock 3.55s in it at the moment. It's suckin' down 12mpg average. I have the Ford 8.8 welded up and the 4.88s for the D30 and the 8.8, plus the install kits. I just need to do the whole setup now. I'm still researching the build. I got a smokin' deal on my gears and stuff. I got the 8.8 axle with disc brakes, the HPD30, the 4.88 gears for both and the install kits with bearings all for $300, plus a short drive to WA. With the spring perches and everything I'm into the project for under $400 right now.

Back