• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Gear Box

Wow... when I first clicked the link, I was like ok that looks nice... decent price too COOL! Until I shortly found out you have to add all of the cool options to get to the bling box that is pictured.

Still a sweet box, but not hard to get into it over $1k

Have anyone here tried Redneck Ram? I had my steering gear repaired and ported for Hydro assist there but am yet to install it. Prices are good compared to others and a very good review.

https://www.westtexasoffroad.com/

I seem to recall someone in NAC having one of those many years ago (in the 2006 timeframe), but I don't recall how he liked it and a lot could have changed in the intervening years...

I seem to recall someone in NAC having one of those many years ago (in the 2006 timeframe), but I don't recall how he liked it and a lot could have changed in the intervening years...

Yea! I do remember those comments. Matter of fact, earlier than 2006, many here on NAXJA experimented with various forms of hydro assist with varying degree of success. In my opinion, many of them did it without prior fore thought. Things have changed now. There are many companies doing or suppling parts to convert any or most vehicles to hydro assist.

I remember the issue was brought up during the time of a former NAXJA president aka Eagle who lived in Connecticut. I had the pleasure of wheeling with him during several NAC outings. (He was always very gentle on his MJ.)

Thanks for the heads up. However, with most burgeoning companies, there are many growing pains. For my sake, I hope they have overcome that.

Well, I installed a Lee power steering pump w/reservoir on my '99XJ. I also used a Cherokee transmission cooler mounted infront of the radiators as a power steering cooler. Nothing like a new sealed pump to highlight the how much the gear box is loosing fluid out of the pitman arm fitting. Drips continuously now.

I was wondering if anybody has tried one of these '98/99 Durango reman gear boxes? Rockauto lists one from Lares and one from BBB Industries. As I live in Canada, so return shipping to USA is out of the question for the core. So $283 CAD for the BBB or $206 for the Lares (5 day wait on the Lares). Anyone have any opinions? I need to fix this soon as my daily driver is leaving puddles. I called all the local autopart stores and the cheapest for a Cardone was $500 + core.

Alright guys, I'll be the guinea pig. I ordered the Lares reman Durango gear box. It's substantially cheaper than the other options from PSC, Lee, and BBB new.

Have anyone here tried Redneck Ram? I had my steering gear repaired and ported for Hydro assist there but am yet to install it. Prices are good compared to others and a very good review.

https://www.westtexasoffroad.com/

I had sent my 89 Dodge W150 steering box and pump to West Texas Offroad year's, year's back. Got the ported upgrade. Ran 38" Swamper SSR's on swapped in Dana60's. Also switched to crossover steering. Truck drove fine on the highway doing 65. Offroad turned the 38's fine. So i never added the hydro assist. I also was still open carrier in the front though.

I had sent my 89 Dodge W150 steering box and pump to West Texas Offroad year's, year's back. Got the ported upgrade. Ran 38" Swamper SSR's on swapped in Dana60's. Also switched to crossover steering. Truck drove fine on the highway doing 65. Offroad turned the 38's fine. So i never added the hydro assist. I also was still open carrier in the front though.

That is good to know. My spear time is taken up trying to sort out my front suspension issues.
In addition to having a bad steering gear which they did repair, I also wanted to reduce the load on the unibody exerted by the track bar by using the hydraulic ram.

Question,...Does the ported steering gear send fluid at pressure to both ends of the ram when driving straight? Reason for the question being, the steering stabilizer is not used by others when hydro assist is used.

I too am in the market for hydro assist... particularly for on the trail with the front locked.

I don't understand your question tho, Techno... are you asking if it is like pushing fluid from both sides making it under pressure when not turning? When turning each way it will push and pull fluid... like how the power part of power steering works, but with a ram aiding instead of just the fluid going from one end of the box to the other. Thats why where you drill is important when tapping the box.

I'm sure I didn't answer your question here is a helpful (maybe?) video

https://youtu.be/TAA9PhtDn-g

As for the steering stabilizer? I'd say sure it dampens the steering... but definitely no need to run both. I think a ss just masks issues with the steering that can be cleaned up. For instance,after going long arms (adjustable track bars and 1 ton steering) I haven't had a steering stabilizer on either of my jeeps- no death wobble

Thanks for the video. It was very enlightening.
It did answer my question. There is (or so it seem) no fluid pressure is being applied to both sides of the ram if the steering wheel is not being turned and then it is applied to one side only.

I spent the first part of my career maintaining heavy construction equipment so I am familiar with the way they work. I just wanted to re-assure myself. And when a ram is filled with fluid it is extremely difficult to force it to move in or out thus contributing to the steering stabilizer effect and probably a lot firmer than OEM type stabilizer.

I have all the equipment here in the garage about 2 months. Just have not had the time to do the install. I sent in a box to Redneck Ram, had it repaired and ported and bought the entire kit.

Ya I'm leaning that way more and more... I was going to have someone local help me port a box, but his schedule seems to be non existing so I like the idea of sending a box in to redneck, I have 2 stockers

OK guys, I received the Lares reman gear box for a '98 Durango. I installed it, but the drive felt off, like too much force required to turn. So I pulled the gear box off and compared it with my old one. There are a few differences. One is that the diameter of the casting towards the front of the gear box (where that round disc is) is 0.5" smaller in diameter on the box RockAuto/Lares sent me.

Also, the engraved part number on my original Dodge Durango gear box is 26055055, while the part number on the Lares reman is 26000525. In looking up this information on Google, it appears as if they sent me the gear box for an 87-01 Jeep Cherokee. So this Lares Corp isn't even checking the core returns to ensure that they are Durango boxes. I'm guessing they are just assuming they are Durango boxes, but in 9/10 times, they are probably old XJ gear boxes.

I'm not sure what to do now. If I report the wrong part received on RockAuto and request a replacement, I'm pretty certain another XJ gear box is going to come.

Are there mechanic shops who can reman my original '98 Durango box?

For those of you who have successfully ordered a reman Durango box within the past few years, where did you order it from? What brand? Thanks.

By the way, the diameter on the casing of my 26055055 - '98 Durango is 4.22". The diameter on the 26000525 - Lares reman is 3.82". For comparison, the diameter on my PSC box is 4.04". Note that the Durango box requires an additional 1/4" spacer on the bolts to mount to the chassis on an XJ.

OK, now I am really confused. I called Lares about this discrepancy and was informed that the gear box w/plow is the one with the larger bore and the gear box w/out plow is the same as the XJ. The guy on the phone said that just because a Durango doesn't come with a snow plow, it doesn't mean that you don't have the snow plow gear box. I'm not sure if he was just trying to cover his butt there, or if this is indeed true. Have you guys ordered a Durango Reman w/out plow that was the larger bore?

I do recall reading that thread and was left utterly confused. One guy says get the plow version, one guy says don't get the plow version. Some say 99 Durangos are all the same box, but rock auto still lists plow and non-plow for this model year.

I recall measuring about 3 full revolutions on my existing box, not 3.5. One side hits the stop on the knuckle, and the other side almost. Hence I don't see the insistence of some of the posters on getting the one with 3.5 revolutions.

Which is the seal kit I need for my existing box and what tool do I need to get it installed? The box works great other than it leaks a lot at the pitman arm shaft.

I picked up the Edelman kit from Lordco just now. It only cost 2.5x what the American pay for the same thing.

I'll replace the pitman shaft seals and the cap gasket and hope for the best.

I suppose I could replace the other seals as well, but I don't have the tool that unscrews the steering wheel shaft side of the gear box. I asked the guy at Lordco if they had it and he said he's never heard of it. Do they have a specific name?

Back