• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

Lots of spattery work, but it works. One of two just about to the home stretch. And offcourse right where I had planned for the upper link
8827de7cecc8424f146663c6c4172d89.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Have you thought of making a hidden winch design like baddad or boostwerks? Helps approach and cooling.. I want to make one similar to both, but the pillow bearing is a pretty cool feature and not cheap on its own in steering brace with one. 400bucks is not a cool feature tho lmao

Not really, I was thinking about seeing if the boostwerks brace is back in stock.. i think I could sink the winch into the grill by 4 maybe 6" and improve approach angle some.

I've been debating a 231231 doubler.
Thats 7.4low range. But I think my long arms will get in the way of longer front drive line.

A under drive box stuffed with 231 planetary would reduce length of 231 doubler but still be 5-7" longer overall.

Black box on a 205tcase might reduce length. Im just dreaming though since they won't give us anymore money

Half way to an atlas at that point.. but still would be an awesome upgrade! I remember Yota guy, Marlin crawler, doing some pretty rad stuff with doublers back in the day... I think passenger drop was the main reason it wouldn't mate to a jeep.. might be adapters and what not now if its even still around.

Aye, we were talking shocks a while back and you were tryna convert me to KYB.. while they seem like a decent shock, I was wanting Bilstein or better up front. But I wanted to see what they had to offer in sizes.
So I went to view some on auto zone thinking maybe I'll grab a pair for the rear if they have em on hand or close by. So I find the ones I need, and it only shows one pictured.. but at 106.99 HAS to be both right? Of course!
So I call to have em ready at the counter... and make sure I would be getting 2. Nope, $106.99 is for ONE monomax! The 5150s were only $84.99!

Even the clerk was like wtf, ya those are more expensive for some reason, this is crazy talk! I ended up going 5150 up front and some BDS NitroX² shocks in the rear. With leaf springs the shocks don't need to be wallet breakers was my thoughts, got 2 for the price of one Monomax.

Yes I know how to internet, the KYBs can be had on Amazon for cheaer... but more of a dice roll imo

Didn't know they were in that category as far as price for shocks. Nuts

Last edited:
Having a smoke cause I just pulled a 2100 dollar trigger, more to come when I have photos

:mj eating popcorn gif:

My thing turning into a thing. I won't be able to eat for months.
Monday is the day.

How did your shocks turn out. Ill have to go with some 12" but not fox or even foa now.

Cool.

I hate to admit, I bought one of those several years ago and have yet to get it set up and put to work. I haven't bent a single stick with it.

Swag Offroad has some neat accessories to go along with it. I have added a couple of those to the pile of pieces I need to assemble to get things operational. Might be a winter project.

The bender is the easy part, bending tube is a science!

Set it up. I dont use mine to often but when I do its pretty sweet.

Rcp is correct i have messed up alot of tube. The hoop on the floor is 1" wider than I was shooting for. Wich is fine i just now have to match it.

Thats 1.25 schd 40 bent in a 1 3/4"tube die.

I have used the damn thing more bending handrail stuff then cool offroad stuff.

Ok.. who whats the big investment??? You already had a tube bender.. you building a juggy??

**** i wish I had a bender man.. tube fenders, roll cage, bumper add ons... damnit

Bro, the shocks are TITTIES!!!

The Billy's up front are perfect man... in the 360/80 is just superior valving to what I had previously! It's a great ride now. Also, the SRBs and new leafs in the back have made the ride soooo much better. I can't fully attribute much to the rear shocks. Going from blown shocks, a cracked main leaf each side, and a 90* shackle angle, lend to a harsh feeling ride. Now at 45*, new leafs, and new shocks its the best XJ I've driven. The BFS NX2 shocks are good for what they are. My thoughts were, until I can go coils or coil overs in the rear, leaf springs require "less" of a high quality shock. They just don't require the same dampening as coils. So for me, the combo is as good as it can be on the same budget. Keeping under 100 a shock, spent 100 for both rear, its hard to beat!

Last edited:
Sweet i need shocks to. So I've welded quite abit with the esab 235 ,mig only I got spoiled. Was bummed to find out its discontinued. Then magically miller released they're own 235. Tracking shows it in salt lake nearly on the idaho border its almost here.

https://youtu.be/1yRu5VzHZwg

It should fill me needs wants perfectly

The bender is working on its welding cart. Ill be picking up a bottle monday. Another 400 pill to swallow

I'd imagine so, but not having to push a 255/70 back up from under my rig to mount it like I have the 360/80s I can't confirm.
Unless you go remote 6150 and up, i got the longest in that valving for 5150. Paying more for 2"s wasn't in the cards. One day I might, and toss these in the back if they hold up... a long travel short body being the only way to get more travel- in fox foa king or Billy; all being pricey$$

Last edited:
If you are under 5"s lift i can't see how you'd get a 12" shock to work. You'd be relocating into the driver's bay and or lowering the shock tabs on the axle side. Essentially getting rid of any "extra" travel just to claim you have a 12" travel. To fit the bigger shocks thats a lot of work, for 1 inch up and down?
At more lift than you, I have jks stem deletes up top dropping the mounting level a tad, and my bar pin eliminator in the stock location raising it a tad. Pretty much 5 up 5 down

Last edited:
These fox shocks are only about 9" someth ing i have about 4" travel both ways. Up travel thats perfect since I bump stoped to keep track bar out of oil pan.
However 4.5" extension is limiting my suspension
I've cycled it and and 5" up 7" down will work damn near perfect. I say ish up and down because I might lift the front an inch or so. Still keeping the 12" shock.

There will be some shock sticking through the engine bay. 12" just clears the master cylinder on the passenger side ive already started moving coil and wiring mess out of tge way.

In my head I've fabbed a tunable upper that has about 3" of tunabilty and also creats a home fir an air compressor i have. Lol.

You are correct at my height normally a 8-10" shock would work and is because I havent decided to spend the money. I Also notice my driving style and trails I run doesn't really need a flexy rock crawler suspension. But on the other hand my rig has a fair amount of potential to always keep the tires on tge ground.

Log pic its hanging on the shock not that it matters much bugs me i don't have much over travel.
Being low and have a large range of travel makes the shock packaging a tight fit.

Ive cycled it with no springs or bump stops getting shock numbers.

Also researched resivore compared to non resivor lengths and tgeres virtually no chane in length across the board in all manufacturers. Going with a resivor will be same length as non resivor.

My lower is some lower already. Im loking how it turned out. My upper is a FUBAR mess
7cfd5079fb61cd3a191061579c7caa1d.jpg
2693e8576c55bf6fe1e0fdeccd96f4d9.jpg
c12b25fc1d1b5d3fab5750ed9f7a2103.jpg

Hmmm old bart doesn't look big enough.

Definitely a love hate relationship with round tub.

Im getting decent at coping but not so much bending cheated a couple bends with the rose bud

Round tube was pointless for this cart but was what I had and have more at the plumbing store. Will finish it ounce machine gets here.
56813f0aa79775945eef623ee241f434.jpg
473a0a587fd43b9de60b039460dedbd8.jpg
b2e23d85e9b44211cd447b257e8b6a79.jpg
3b42dcf32d63f76d950614223f226db6.jpg

Back