• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Late 80's Commanche and D44?

It was available, but not guaranteed to be there, most came with the D35.

In general, the D44 was used with the Metric Ton package, which was an option on the long bed models. A very few short beds also got the D44 as part of other option packages, but the Metric Ton package was not offered on the short beds.

In general, if it's a long bed the chances of a D44 are probably about 20% to 25%, if it's a short bed the chances are more like 5%.

csr_011 said:
Would a late 80's, guessing an 87-89 Commanche 4.0L have a D44 under it? I believe it was manual trans.

Cory

I have one. 88, 4.0l, Pugeot wonder tranny. Metric Tonne Package.

They are out there... mine is an 89 Pioneer LWB, 4.0/5spd peugot. It has/had the 44, and the three factory skid plates (fuel tank, transer case, steering) but no front tow hooks or HD tow hitch - just a step bumper :dunno:

Mine came sporting a 1.5"x3" decal on the lower right rear glass, where Jeep called it a "Big Ton - 2205 lbs." (at least regionally in the SE they did.) If a prospective truck has this decal... it likely has or came with one.

My 88 eliminator short bed, 2WD has it.

But I don't have the slightest clue if it was supposed to be there stock. Sure looks it though.

woody said:
They are out there... mine is an 89 Pioneer LWB, 4.0/5spd peugot. It has/had the 44, and the three factory skid plates (fuel tank, transer case, steering) but no front tow hooks or HD tow hitch - just a step bumper :dunno:

Mine came sporting a 1.5"x3" decal on the lower right rear glass, where Jeep called it a "Big Ton - 2205 lbs." (at least regionally in the SE they did.) If a prospective truck has this decal... it likely has or came with one.

I had the skid plates, and factory front tow hooks, but not the rear.

All the sticker on mine said though was "Big Ton Package"

I will have to go and look, it was a longbed, not sure if it was a 4x4 or not, just took a glance as i was driving by. If it has the skids and such, will they fit on the Cherokee?? I may have found a goldmine!!

Cory

csr_011 said:
I will have to go and look, it was a longbed, not sure if it was a 4x4 or not, just took a glance as i was driving by. If it has the skids and such, will they fit on the Cherokee?? I may have found a goldmine!!

Cory

The front skid (and probably the t-case skid) will fit... the MJ fuel tank & skid is completely different though.

The local yard has an 89 LB with a 44 under it. It is an auto & does not have any stickers on it suggesting the Metric Ton package. Can't wait till they part it. JIM.

csr_011 said:
So are the wheel bases the same width? Is it direct fit?

Cory
Same width as what? All MJs are the same width and the axles swap from longbed to shortbed with no problems.

Going from MJ to XJ, the axles are the same width, but the spring perches on the MJ are under the axle, and spaced differently from the XJ. You can either cut them off and reweld them on top, or buy new perches and leave the MJ mounts in place. The MJ axles also do not include shock mounts, so you need to fabricate those if swapping an MJ axle into an XJ.

Eagle said:
In general, the D44 was used with the Metric Ton package, which was an option on the long bed models. A very few short beds also got the D44 as part of other option packages, but the Metric Ton package was not offered on the short beds.

In general, if it's a long bed the chances of a D44 are probably about 20% to 25%, if it's a short bed the chances are more like 5%.

BUZZZZZZZ wrong again! My 89 2x shortbed that I picked up up wrecked and am building the crawler with IS a metric tonne pakcage and a shortbed.

According to an old sales books when I worked as a sales person back in 93-94 (the book was from 91) The package could have been ordered to any comanche

Last edited:
comancheon33 said:
If you pick up that camanche for the rear axle. What are you gonna do with the rest of it?
I doubt I'll buy the whole thing. The body & interior are shot. It has 188K on it & the oil looks like it was changed around 100K ago. Tranny fluid doesn't look much better. Trans. is mounted to the crossmember with a ratchet strap. I believe the X-case is in need of a rebuild since it pops out in high & low. But the 44 should be an easy rebuild. JIM.

Back