• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check oil, and Cruise Lights on dash?

Dobbie

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys.
here with a 93 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 HO Limited. One question.
When I put the keys ON ( dont fire) lights chechk oil in dash should be light ON ? only for a seconds to do the check? Mine never light on that position, i guess that is broken.

Other question, when i drive with cruise control ON, should be light ON the indicator on the dash? behind to the check oil?, Mine never light

thanks

I do not believe there is a oil level sensor lol.
unless its in the distributor. but I doubt it.
my 92 does not have it. and I have almost every option from the factory.
unless someone corrects me

mine is from germany
perhaps others options

on the right side we have the digital clock, under the clock, we have a green light that is the position light, another red that is warning lights, under this two, we have, check oil on red, and cruise on green.

DIGITAL CLOCK
NONE / NONE
NONE / NONE
NONE / NONE
POSITION / WARNINGS
CHECK OIL/ CRUISE

Last edited:
That sounds like the "System Sentry" thing. That was a fairly rare option on very early XJs here in the states, pre-4.0 from what I found around here (see below).

I'd have to guess that someone got that panel out of another truck and stuck it in there (maybe for the clock - does the clock work) before you got your hands on the truck, unless it's documented in your owner's manual.

Did a fast search, found the following threads. The first seems to have info on what the system does, the second has a pic of the readout panel:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1039192&highlight=system+sentry

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82155

Does the thing you're talking about look like the pic in the second thread?

Hi again.
This panel is original from factory,none from another truck. Then i am sad because haven,t the user,s manual, and its difficult to obtain. I will post any pic this week end, The clock works perfectly, and repeat my truck is 93 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 HO Limited.

yesterday i was watching in the engine to find for two oil pressure sensors, one for the gauge in the dash, and another for the red light in the right panel, but only found one with only one wire betwen oil filter to the gauge press oil. No found the other for the red light, then i can think that perhaps this panel had options for other models?????CRUISE LIGHT and CHECK OIL ?
My truck have Cruise Control, but the green light on that panel dont light too.

Thanks

Hi again.
This panel is original from factory,none from another truck. Then i am sad because haven,t the user,s manual, and its difficult to obtain. I will post any pic this week end, The clock works perfectly, and repeat my truck is 93 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 HO Limited.

yesterday i was watching in the engine to find for two oil pressure sensors, one for the gauge in the dash, and another for the red light in the right panel, but only found one with only one wire betwen oil filter to the gauge press oil. No found the other for the red light, then i can think that perhaps this panel had options for other models?????CRUISE LIGHT and CHECK OIL ?
My truck have Cruise Control, but the green light on that panel dont light too.

Thanks

Could be Chrysler re-using parts from other vehicles would be my best bet.

the cruise light I believe can light up when working correctly.
but then again my cruise has never worked and im still trying to fix that.

my cruise works perfectly, i drive to 80 km/h , and then prees cruise buttom and the rig goes even to 80km/h 50 milles/h but the light dont light

I don’t think our 92 has light to indicate the cruise control is on.

Far as the lights on the clock, as was mentioned earlier there is a 1984-86 options with a bunch of lights in a early computer monitor system but that was very different to what you’re describing.
b6c7b65994e4c21e9a249f546789e554.jpg

If you have a full gauge set up with oil pressure you shouldn’t have a oil light to come on when first turn the ignition on.
The last clocks Jeep made before the redesign in 1997, so 1994-96 did have places for a bulb to go about where you are describing, but I’ve never seen one in the USA that had bulbs there that did anything. It does show jeep was thinking about using that space for something.
I also know the European Cherokees some times got slightly different clocks and dash components. My guess is your Cherokee has something unique to this market and probably a early maintenance reminder computer like some of the 1990s Grand Cherokees got. But I’m just guessing

Here’s a link for what the XJ/Cherokee clock options looked like through the years

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoDashClock.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back