• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy build-The Family Truckster

Started working on the WJ swap parts since the front axle is getting closer. I opted to get stock WJ rotors and re-drill them. I was nervous about this after reading some horror stories. Spent a lot of time in laying out the new holes. Came out perfect! Done with a cordless drill and a step drill bit from good ol Harbor Freight.

I also drilled out the knuckles for 3/4" bolts for the steering. I'll post pictures when I build the double shear mounts.

Set the axle at what I hope to be full bump. Just tossed the shocks on real quick to get an idea of fitment and lower shock mounting points.

Started building the frame side control arm mounts. It's so nice working with fresh clean metal after fighting with the dirty galvanized unibody rails.

The family trickster isn't dead...I just got busy making my home shop a little better. I've made a few tools that I have been wanting forever.

A belt sander attachment for my $10 HF bench grinder. By far the best tool I have ever made. Si much better than using a hand held grinder to shape metal.

A vice mounted finger brake and a table top fixture table.

And a tubing bender in process. This bracket connects the bottle jack to the bending die.

Some updates on the actual truck soon too. The front suspension is all designed, I just have to build it now.

Homemade tubing never complete and it works!! Makes it to about 88 degrees without resetting the jack. Good enough for 95% of what I need. Total cost about $270.

I also have the front suspension on its way to being mocked up. A few more hours of work and I'll be able to cycle it and set the shocks.

I have a similar design bender, although yours is a bit better. One thing you might find tho (mine was) is it's a bit top heavy with a tube loaded in. I added some long runners at the bottom to keep it stable.

Like your control arm packaging too.

Soaked my WJ knuckles in apple cider vinegar for a few days to knock the rust off. Burned in the bearing spacers today. I started working on the double shear for the tie rod and drag link too. Not the most perfect welds, but I think they will hold.

oKq8SmbafqkSDnkt8

Last edited:
While the welds are beautiful on the lower mounts in that last post, I wonder if you wouldn't be better welding a fishmouth plate to the unibody, then welding to that?

While the welds are beautiful on the lower mounts in that last post, I wonder if you wouldn't be better welding a fishmouth plate to the unibody, then welding to that?

I agree 100%. It's hard to see in the pictures, but I installed full length frame reinforcement plates from ruff stuff before I built the lower control arm mounts. So no need for another fish mouth plate. Plenty of beef.

Soaked my WJ knuckles in apple cider vinegar for a few days to knock the rust off. Burned in the bearing spacers today.

FYI, apple cider vinegar is not needed.

Plain old white distilled works just fine. I've used it many times.

Back