• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you get the pulley off of the

bigalpha

water pump?

I got the 4 bolts taken loose, but can't get the pulley off of the face of the water pump. You can't get the water pump off w/o taking off the pulley.

You ever have those days when you're wrenching and you just can't get it to work right, then realize you're doing it all wrong? Yeah, today is one of those days.

if you're replacing the h2o pump, I say try smacking the face of the pump GENTLY trying to keep from damaging the pully but it sounds like there is some corrosion built up holding it on.

Yeah, I tried putting a wrench behind the pulley and lightly pulling on it to see if I could break it loose, but no worky.

I'll try the smack-technique.

Does anyone have a spare garage I could have? It's getting chilly out.

Tell me about it, I called it quits when the battery died in my LED hat.

Let me go look at mine and see if I can come up with another idea.

lol. My headlamp was getting dim so I pulled out the fluorescent worklight. Then, I got stuck on it, ugh.

Sorry Alpha, only other option looks like pulling the rad and using a pully puller on it. On mine I have 2 threaded holes for the puller, almost like a steering wheel puller set would work.

spray some PB Blaster on it... and call it a night. and spray some more in the morning too.
i just helped change a water pump last week... pulley was quite snug, but we were able to pry and tap it off...

good luck to ya...

Yay, I got the pulley off. After a blast of PB Blaster last night, and some gentle taps on the belt-face of the pulley, it popped off.

Now, to rotate the power steering assembly to pull the WP off.

Seems like there's a lot to do just to replace the two parts. Jeez. Hopefully get it done tomorrow.

on the power steering assembly, only loosen the lower bolt behind the pulley, and remove the top two (there's a hole in the pulley to stick your socket through) there's also a bolt on the block that holds part of the PS bracket... i removed the air box to make more space. (was also replacing both radiator hoses at the time)

This is what I'm looking at. I was going to remove that bolt that's furthest down then rotate the entire housing from the top-most bolt (not really visible in this pic).

I should remove the topmost bolt and just loosen this lower bolt instead?

3310814281_27ee6ef9ee.jpg

3310821993_7e66bbe917.jpg

Last edited:
Yay, I got it all swapped over and she's not overheating anymore. I got my solenoids in the mail last night so I'm off to do that at some point too.

Next is brakes.

Yay, I got the pulley off. After a blast of PB Blaster last night, and some gentle taps on the belt-face of the pulley, it popped off.

Now, to rotate the power steering assembly to pull the WP off.

Seems like there's a lot to do just to replace the two parts. Jeez. Hopefully get it done tomorrow.

Be glad you don't have an import. Water pump replacement = timing belt replacement. The easiest water pump I've ever seen/done has been on the GM 3100 series engines. Not only was it a 12 dollar pump, but it also only took 5 minutes to replace.

Back