• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED Tail light conversion question

Sheeper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm Putting my THOR COrners on and using some LED Lights, i think theyre too low voltage to actually work, they stay lit up. do i need a different flasher relay? i put my old bulb back on the wires and it blinks

thanks

on my 98 it was on the drivers side behind the dash kind of where the a/c vent is perhaps it can be gotten to easier than i did it. i was pissed and just kept taking shit off till i found it. I found it by tracking down the clicking sound while it was blinking if you do it replace the hazard flasher at the same time, if you decide to do other led bulbs youll have the same prob

so i put the electronic flasher in, good news is, theyre flashing, bad news is that both the rear lights are flashing....... the front is going left or right , but the back its both , in left and right positions..

HELP!! lolHasta

what exactly did you change? front and rear bulbs? if so id be leaning towards some kinda funky ground connection somewhere what bout the hazards do they still work

what exactly did you change? front and rear bulbs? if so id be leaning towards some kinda funky ground connection somewhere what bout the hazards do they still work

rear... im gonna try and ground the grounds to the body instead of to the wired ground from the jeep.... the hazards work like they should

Regrounded everything, replaced both the Hazard and flasher modules with the electronic flashers.... still doing the same thing, ....i'm stumped....therye 3 wire tail lights..... Stop/Turn.... wired both wires from the cherokee together, and Tail is on its own wire.... ....and obveously the ground..... both are still flashing on the rear either on left or right....

ok if im understanding you wired the wires togeather that sounds like the problem. if you took a 3 wire system and made it 2 wires the power is going to backfeed to the otherside. ive never done the mod youve done but adding a relay comes to mind for the brake lights, however im thinking even with a relay when the brakes are on and you turn on the turn signals both sides are going to flash dont know if adding a diode may cure this.. perhaps calling the manu. and asking them.WIREING GURUS please chime in

from the jeep you have three wires? hot for brakes, hot for blinks and grnd? or just hot and grnd? if the 2 wire is the case maybe you can get one of those plug in harnesses for trailer wireing and use that, i think that splits the single hot and makes it a seperate hot for brakes and another for blinks

Last edited:
Regrounded everything, replaced both the Hazard and flasher modules with the electronic flashers.... still doing the same thing, ....i'm stumped....therye 3 wire tail lights..... Stop/Turn.... wired both wires from the cherokee together, and Tail is on its own wire.... ....and obveously the ground..... both are still flashing on the rear either on left or right....

well thats the problem! what did you think would happen? maybe that the power from the turn signal would just magically not go into the brake light circuit? if both the turn and brake light wires are tied together, then the power WILL go into the brake circuit causing both (also the center brake light if so equipped) brake lights to blink.

ok if im understanding you wired the wires togeather that sounds like the problem. if you took a 3 wire system and made it 2 wires the power is going to backfeed to the otherside. ive never done the mod youve done but adding a relay comes to mind for the brake lights, however im thinking even with a relay when the brakes are on and you turn on the turn signals both sides are going to flash dont know if adding a diode may cure this.. perhaps calling the manu. and asking them.WIREING GURUS please chime in

from the jeep you have three wires? hot for brakes, hot for blinks and grnd? or just hot and grnd? if the 2 wire is the case maybe you can get one of those plug in harnesses for trailer wireing and use that, i think that splits the single hot and makes it a seperate hot for brakes and another for blinks

XJs came from the factory with an independent bulb system- ie the turn signal is seperate from the brake light. if your wanting to make your independent bulb system into a common bulb system (where the brake and turn share the same bulb) you will need a converter. search tail light converter on here and see what it pulls up. the converter is used to take the independent bulb systems compatible with the common bulb trailer light systems.

Back