• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ran fine, then sudden no start condition. Please help!

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've searched all through the threads and didn't see where anybody has been having my same problems.

I went to go to work this morning and my Jeep just cranked and cranked and cranked. It sometimes acted like it wanted to start and when I'd let off the key it would kind of spit and spudder then just stop. It never really did start at all. I've also noticed that after it spits and spudders, some smoke comes out of the air filter itself, and yes, I'm sure it's coming out of the air filter.

Any ideas people would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking either CPS or timing chain/gears.

PS: it's a 99 5 spd 4.0 with 107k on the clock

Last edited:
Renix, OBD1, or OBD2?

Year, engine, any other info you think might help.

Any late model OBD2 people out there?

When was the last tune-up? Pull a plug after you try to start it, to see if it is wet..Also check fuel pressure at the rail..Have you checked for spark?

Ok i've been working on this for most of the day on and off at work...I replaced all the plugs, cap, wires, and rotor, and it started, but now I have a miss.....my number 3 injector is hotter than all the others and I don't know if it's sticking open or closed...all the other injectors were like 190-200 degrees and number 3 was 380-400 degrees...unfortunately, I don't have immediate access to a noid light.

Strictly.Offroad...I do not have a ballast resistor on this one...like you said it's obd2 not renix.

Can you pull it out to check it.. You will need new o-rings to re-install..I would change it with #2 injector to see if it still does it on 3 or if it went to 2..Also make sure you didn't install wires wrong, it is easy to do if you removed all at same time..

The wires are all fine, if it was a wire in the wrong place, there would be 2 cyl's affected, in this case its just number 3 and its more the injector. I have a feeling my computer's gone!

Move your injector, won't take you that long..Could be clogged..Pull it out and change with other..This only takes a couple of o-rings to test...Cheap...Hell we got it to run with a tune up right..

Ok, so from what I understand, when I hook up a noid light to this thing, if it stays lit solid then I have a problem in my PCM, correct? And if it doesn't light at all then it could be the injector itself or a short, is this also correct?

Ok, so I found out today that the computer is not toast afterall...it is sending a signal to pulse that injector, however the injector is not firing correctly. So, unless someone can recommend a good place to buy a complete set cheap then I'm only going to replace the one bad injector for now.

I was looking at getting these but it only says for grand cherokee 96-98 and i have a 99 XJ...will they still work or what?

http://www.precisionautoinjectors.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=11

Last edited:
UPDATE!!

I installed the new injector today and it still doesn't run right. The one injector that I replaced is still running 200 degrees hotter than all the others. What could be causing this and why is it still running bad with all the stuff I've done to it.

Just to recap:
plugs
rotor
cap
wires
new injector

Did you clean the fuel rail when you had it off? This is why i would remove the injector an change with a different one.. Sorry, but you need to test first..Do you have a leak from your header or intake? Check all the bolts on them to make sure they are tight..

Did you clean the fuel rail when you had it off? This is why i would remove the injector an change with a different one.. Sorry, but you need to test first..Do you have a leak from your header or intake? Check all the bolts on them to make sure they are tight..

I did just that today...if you read I said I put a BRAND NEW injector on it today and it's still doing the same thing. All bolts are tight and there's not any leaks at the intake or exhaust manifold.

What cylinder #?

Swap the injector drive connector with one next to it and see if the heat stays with the cylinder or follows the connector. It might run a touch rougher but it won't hurt anything for testing. Heck, I've seen rigs that have been driven with a swapped connector for thousands of miles with no ill effect.

Wow! The #3 injectors are known for running hot, but that seems ridiculous. If you search a little, you will see about the TSB for adding a heat shield to the #3 injector. But I thought that was only for the distributorless models. You say you changed the plugs and the WIRES, so I'm assuming you have a dist. I thought '99s had the coilpack like my 2000.

Poor engineering.

Search "Heat Soak".

Back