• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best air filter for a stock 1990 air box.

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have had some Fram airfilters collapse into the air box, their frame is not very rigid, and thus it can come out of the channel easy. Is there a filter with a more ridged frame, better fit?
What is a high quality filter to fit the stock 1990 air box?

Thanks!

You can still get them from the dealer. Thats where i got my last one just cause i happened to be in there for another part. IIRC its stamped as a Mahle filter but id have to double check tomorrow.

Rockauto carries a wide selection of good name brands. Id be wary of using washable oiled filters.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

High quality paper is the way to go, and replace often if you're off road a lot as dust migrates through them eventually. Rockauto.com currently has non-labeled/packaged (think sales to Jiffy Lube type places) WIX filters for $2.54 each. Otherwise, Mopar or ACDelco seems fine.

I've used oil filters for desert buggy go-fast stuff. I've never had good luck with them and always had dust in the intake until I switched to Donaldson type paper filters.

High quality paper is the way to go, and replace often if you're off road a lot as dust migrates through them eventually. Rockauto.com currently has non-labeled/packaged (think sales to Jiffy Lube type places) WIX filters for $2.54 each. Otherwise, Mopar or ACDelco seems fine.

I've used oil filters for desert buggy go-fast stuff. I've never had good luck with them and always had dust in the intake until I switched to Donaldson type paper filters.

Is this the Donaldson filter you recommend?

link...

https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-us/product/P534105/19636#

You can still get them from the dealer. Thats where i got my last one just cause i happened to be in there for another part. IIRC its stamped as a Mahle filter but id have to double check tomorrow.

Rockauto carries a wide selection of good name brands. Id be wary of using washable oiled filters.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

From your link, AC Delco seems to be the best.

But my issues is the filter failing to stay seated in the air box channel. When I bought the jeep the K and N was fallen out of the channel, I replaced with fram paper filter and now twice upon inspection it has fallen out of the channel of the airbox. my air box is stock, and does not appear to have any warps or deformation in it or its top. It is nice and squared,no twist in the plastic.

I think if the wire mesh on the filter was stiffer, or the frame beefier that would solve it, The filter did not get wet either, the filter element seems undamaged each time, I think it is a poor design issue, it needs a more rigid frame, that is what I am looking for at this point, a filter that is more rigid.

anyone else have this problem?

Heres my filter. Oem MOPAR. One thing i noticed on the metal grille ontop is two raised rectangular sections. I assume these add somewhat to the strength to the mesh grille. And its not marked MAHLE its just got the Chrysler marks. Ive never noticed these raised sections on other brands of filter but ive never payed that close of attention to it either.

Ive never had what youre describing happen. It may be time to get a replacment airbox. Maybe yours is warped and misshappen and no longer able to hold the filter properly.

45d1a58184fb7f73c71c60d59fd55fcd.jpg

edb6d0c2f76019e8b538edc85f465f2a.jpg

5926d67b5bc94ac48cdc5bfc528b9c1a.jpg

d2eeef42eda0fdeb79906e5f29aacbce.jpg

Is this the Donaldson filter you recommend?

link...

https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-us/product/P534105/19636#

NICE! I didn't even know they made one, but makes sense. Yes, Donaldson is a good company.

From your link, AC Delco seems to be the best.

But my issues is the filter failing to stay seated in the air box channel. When I bought the jeep the K and N was fallen out of the channel, I replaced with fram paper filter and now twice upon inspection it has fallen out of the channel of the airbox. my air box is stock, and does not appear to have any warps or deformation in it or its top. It is nice and squared,no twist in the plastic.

I think if the wire mesh on the filter was stiffer, or the frame beefier that would solve it, The filter did not get wet either, the filter element seems undamaged each time, I think it is a poor design issue, it needs a more rigid frame, that is what I am looking for at this point, a filter that is more rigid.

anyone else have this problem?

As far as I know, almost every filter I've put in the Jeep was pretty floppy. The mesh is to keep the paper from getting sucked into the engine, not to keep the filter rigid. I think you have a problem with your airbox.

I have a case of motorcraft filters from when I worked at a Ford dealer, that will last me a while. Otherwise, I was using Napa and Carquest filters.
Will probably run Wix after.

Back