• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to adjust toe in / out

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to adjust my toe in /out. I've sprayed to tie rod ends and the bars where they screw in with PB Blaster for 2 days prior to starting. I can not get the tie rod bar to adjust. Both tie rod ends seem to be well rusted into the bar. Any suggestions to how to free these tie rod ends. I tried heating the bar ends around the tie rod ends today with a propane torch, but they till would not budge. Was even using a large pipe wrench with about a 2 to 3 foot cheater on it. Any and all help an suggestions will be appreciated, I'm at a loss at this point. I also have MAPP gas available but am hesitant to use my ox-acetylene under the car in that area.
Thanks
Bill

.......Was even using a large pipe wrench with about a 2 to 3 foot cheater on it.......
Wow. Those tie rods are really stuck.

Only thing I can suggest is to apply the Blaster again and heat with
the propane, then tap around the circumference with a heavy hammer
to break the rust bond.

Sometimes the only fix for stuff like this involves an 1983 DeLorean, and anti seize.
NEVER reinstall a threaded assembly dry. It’s worth looking like the tin man.

Also bolts that go thru things like leaf spring bushings, etc.

Can't really add much to suggestions already made but the 1st time I had to tackle this problem, I do recall it took several hours.

The trouble with doing this job with the vehicle on the deck is you really can't get enough leverage, there's just not enough room to swing a long cheater. One thing that might be worth trying, after dousing the dousing the treads with your choice of penetrant every day for a week, is supporting the handle of the pipe wrench on a bottle jack & start pumping. If you reach the point that the Jeep starts to raise, keep going 'til the wheels are clear of the ground, apply more penetrant (from a safe distance) - & walk away!

I have used a pipe wrench with a bottle jack under it.

Good time to upgrade steering components

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'm sure you've done this but make sure you lift the jeep supported by the axle tube as this will relieve some stress due to the friction of the tire to the ground

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Back