• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do these connectors go to?

Spearfisher XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Heres some pics of connectors that are just hanging in my engine bay, and was seeing if they are of any significance. Let me know if you need more info to help identify them. 1988 XJ, 4.0, AX15 70K miles

kkllkl.jpg

This one is near the throttle body

dsdsdsd.jpg

dddd.jpg

And those two are one the left side of the engine bay.

Since you have a manual tranny the first pic is part of the TPS input. The AW4 output has two plugs...the manual only one. It's there for IF.

The two bottoms are, well one is surely the underhood light wire, the other, i dunno. Even if you don't have an underhood light.

The IF factor??

Since you have a manual tranny the first pic is part of the TPS input. The AW4 output has two plugs...the manual only one. It's there for IF.

The two bottoms are, well one is surely the underhood light wire, the other, i dunno. Even if you don't have an underhood light.

The IF factor??
So its basically just for if I were to have an AW4?

Note from DJ
I agree with ParadiseXJ’s Post #2 after double check against my 88XJ

Just a little more clarification on the red wire connector in your picture # 2 is the connector for the under- hood light if you had one it should have a positive 12 volts to it and the 4 pin connector in picture in picture #1 is for throttle position sensor second half if you had an automatic transmission.

My thoughts are if you take a volt meter or even a simple test light and you find voltage present between the red connector in #2 and battery ground, take some electrical tape and cover up the end of the connector to prevent a short sometime down the road which will cause you a lot of grief.

The same is true between pins A and D on the connector in # 1, but you will need to have the key in the on position to check for voltage there and it will only be slightly less than 5 volts. I don’t know if you will find voltage there or not, but just for safety sakes I would wrap it up.

Now on to #3 if you don’t have cruise control and that connector has a male terminal inside of it that is the ground connector for your missing cruise control no taping necessary.

NOTE: If you decide to tape over the hot connector’s go easy on the tape the engine heat will make it the tape very sticky and you might find a reason to remove it someday.

I also have an 88 XJ with 4.0/AW4.

As discussed the 1st is the TPS connector.

The 2nd is the underhood light. I have the retractable version on mine.

I can't verify the 3rd is for CC, but I do have CC and mine is connected. It does NOT connect to the vacuum solendoid but connects to a mate that disappears into the harness bundle above in your 3rd pic (out of frame). It runs back across the firewall and though to the interior just below the C101 connector. Given it's Black, it's likely just a ground.

Small Wire At Battery +

HI there,

While we are talking about random connectors and wiring for earlier XJ's:

Does anyone else have a small 12-14 gauge red wire going from the battery positive post, to a connector and then disappearing under the fuseblock?

(Hope that is not considered a Hijack)

Thanks.

Note from DJ
I agree with ParadiseXJ’s Post #2 after double check against my 88XJ

Just a little more clarification on the red wire connector in your picture # 2 is the connector for the under- hood light if you had one it should have a positive 12 volts to it and the 4 pin connector in picture in picture #1 is for throttle position sensor second half if you had an automatic transmission.

My thoughts are if you take a volt meter or even a simple test light and you find voltage present between the red connector in #2 and battery ground, take some electrical tape and cover up the end of the connector to prevent a short sometime down the road which will cause you a lot of grief.

The same is true between pins A and D on the connector in # 1, but you will need to have the key in the on position to check for voltage there and it will only be slightly less than 5 volts. I don’t know if you will find voltage there or not, but just for safety sakes I would wrap it up.

Now on to #3 if you don’t have cruise control and that connector has a male terminal inside of it that is the ground connector for your missing cruise control no taping necessary.

NOTE: If you decide to tape over the hot connector’s go easy on the tape the engine heat will make it the tape very sticky and you might find a reason to remove it someday.

Alright thanks man! And thanks to everyone else

Back