• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

burning smell

Only when you're moving? What about when idling in park? Are you lifted? Got oversized tires?

Check the inner sidewalls of your tires, make sure nothing is rubbing against them. Look underneath as well. See if anything is rubbing on your drive shafts.

The next time you smell this stop and raise the back seat up and feel the passenger side carpet above the muffler and see if it is hot and melting from the exhaust. My 96 does this and it smells like burnt marshmallows to me. I also have a hole there from a stray drive shaft and some trail carnage(pre SYE days)

check the exaust you could have had a plastic bag blow under the truck while at a light or something and it stuck to the exaust and burns away slowly had t happen to me drove me crazy and its hard to clean off but youd be amazed how long it takes to burn off completely although it wasnt a rubber smell more like the smell when you blow out a candle check your belts too perhaps ones slipping

Rear main leaking on your exhaust I bet. Mine was the same way. MAN it was bad.:puke:

Today I left the Jeep running with the windows up for about 10 minutes. When I went out to it it was filled with smoke and that burning smell. I checked my exhaust and my carpet I cant find anything that is burning. Its also not a oil burning smell.

do you have anti-freeze/coolant leaking inside from the heater core?
this would be sweet smelling steam though.

All your electronics still work? Got some electrical wires burning up somewhere?

I dont think i'd drive it much more untill you can figure it out.....no need for an unnecessary fire....

i doubt the calipers would be dragging if it's idling for 10 minutes in park. and that goes for the tcase too. LOL

if as you said, it smelled and had smoke just from sitting there idling for several minutes, then the right thing to do would be to open the hood and start looking VERY DETAILED, also look under the jeep VERY DETAILED, and then look under/around the dash etc...

i've had several situations where i had smoke/fire.

1) overfilled tranny fluid (caused it to overflow out of the vent tube and started a fire on the exhaust)

2) tranny line was leaking (caused it to smoke off the exhaust but didn't catch on fire that time.)

3) exhaust got floor boards hot and was melting various items i had laying there.

4) had an electrical short which caused the wires to heat up and the insulation to smolder and smoke.

until you do figure out what it is, i would recommend not driving it anymore, and KEEP FIRE EXTINQUISHERS in the jeep. i've used mine twice already when i had exhaust related fires.

Better Get a fire extinguisher handy, and pretty much you need to check anything that can be hot. Maybe if you can pull it into a shop or large building while it is runnign and see if you can see anything right after you turn it off. Like smoke in a still enviroment.

Back