• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mount replacement....

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, I have searched, but want a clear and definate answer without sifting thru hours of :bs:

How much of a pain are they to change?

The passenger side looks to be easy, but the driver could be a pain....

As of now, only the passenger mounts has torn rubber, but I know the driver side may not be far behind.....

The trans mount is about a year old acording to the paper I got with the Jeep....

I'd have to say the driver's sice is the easy one! Simply remove the airbox and you have a large working area.

Passenger side has some A/C lines and other crap in the way.

If you think the passenger side is easy, the driver's side will be a breeze.

Go slow, get an "assistant" and have a couple of jacks on hand and some different size pipes or bars for prying, and pushing the engine back into place.
I just did mine about a month ao and I beleive I payed 8 or 9 dollars apeice. took us about 2 hours to install them, with ample breaks

Just did mine two nights ago. Real easy they seem hard

You may think you are lifting the engine too much when the truck starts rising that is just the weight of the engine raising the shock up. Once you get the ingine high enough the bolts will just slide out literally. It really looks alot harder than it is. I was dreading it till i did it. Then i was thinking thats not so bad. Definitly remove the airbox. PM me if you have any questions or hell call me

I am Rob

253-212-5643

Cool thanks guys...

Looks I will be changing them once I get the money.

I can clearly see the passeneger side mount, which is good, all I have to do is get to the driver side....

Not that I haven't changed motor mounts in my other vehicles before.....(I completely destroyed the mounts in my 85 Prelude by running drags with it....)

I did mine a couple of years ago. As told before use a screw or bottle jack to move the motor to get bolts started. If I remember correctly, the driver side was the hard one for me. Maybe because I replaced to passenger side first.

The self-lowering jack....That would be the same model I just tossed out...

I took a look at the passenger side mount, it's ugly, the rubber is torn and funky, I'm pretty sure the driver side is shot too as I have an unexplained body thump in gear at idle.......

Blaine B. said:
Don't buy the AutoZone Anchor motor mounts. They suck! Less than 10 months and my driver's side was torn in half.

x9,0000! don't buy those anchor crap mounts! total garbage! they either completely tear or come unglued from the bracket

While you have the mounts out, check the bolts on the engine block mount. My pass side came loose and 2 snapped off. Almost lost the whole thing. On my 88 it was a TORX head bolt. I swapped them for G8 hex heads.

Check the trany mount, good chance it's bad to. It tends to go when bad motor mounts let the engine rock to much. If you off hard look to some real HD mounts. or torque strap.
Run a cable from the engine to the firewall. Leave a little slack so the engine can rock a little but will pull tight when you get on it hard. Much cheaper then HD mounts but will not transmit vibes into the Jeep like some HD mounts will.

Tranny mount is new as of a couple years ago....

I looked at it the other day when i was under it getting my self covered in grease and dirt.....It's fine, no excess movement....

Just did my passenger side was easy enough, the broken bolt in the block not so easy.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with dea mounts?

I replaced my stock motor mounts when i swapped out my header for an apn one. I stripped the old manifolds off, replaced the motor mounts with a set of MORE motor mounts, and finnished the header swap.

the pass side was the hard side.

The Autozone Anchor brand passenger side mount and trans mount were fine.

However I replaced my motor mounts with Browndog mounts. Still using the AutoZone trans mount until Browndog engineers and sells some trans mounts as well.

Back