• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Question

SEXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I have a 96 XJ and have been maintaining it to the best of my ability (college student = not much cash) but ive been trying and its fairly well maintained I would say.

I noticed a gas smell the other day after shutting it off and walking behind, it so I crawled under there and I saw gas droplets from the hose going from the pump to the filter. The hose didnt look like it was in good condition at all, so I decided to go ahead and replace all the fuel lines that looked bad. I bought fuel pressure rated hoses and replaced the hose going from the pump to the filter, also replaced the small hose that connects the other side of the filter to the hard line.

I also noticed that the "roll-over vent" hose going from the T-adapter to the left side of the tank had a hole in it. I couldnt get to the actual valve without dropping the tank so I cut the section that had a hole in it and I bought the right size ID hose and a universal plastic hose connector and connected the hoses together to get the right length and connected it back to the T-adapter.

I went to fill gas today and I opened the gas cap and there was a ton of pressure in there, it hissed for quite a bit. This hasnt happened before and I have a relatively new (PO put it on not me) Stant gas cap. Im not sure why this happened but I'm thinking the ID of the connector is smaller than the ID of the hose so maybe its not venting enough? But then again, Im not sure what these "roll-over vent" hoses are for, not even sure thats what theyre called. So can anyone explain to me the function of these hoses and what the causes might be for the extra pressure in the fuel tank?

Also, I replaced my filter around 20k miles ago, how often should I replace my filter?

Thank you for the support,
Laith

I had that problem for a long time. Turned out the line up to the charcoal canister was clogged. Blew it out with compressed air and all good. I doubt the splice you added has clogged the line enough to cause that. Those valves are designed to vent pressure and close if they invert.

I expect the reason you never had pressure build up before is because you had a hole in the hose.

I had that problem for a long time. Turned out the line up to the charcoal canister was clogged. Blew it out with compressed air and all good. I doubt the splice you added has clogged the line enough to cause that. Those valves are designed to vent pressure and close if they invert.

Yeah that’s why I was confused cause I doubted the splice would cause that much pressure buildup. Which line did you blow out? I’ve never messed with the charcoal canister and I’m not even sure I know where it’s located. Can you please let me know what/where you did so I can try it out. Hopefully that will solve my issue.

I expect the reason you never had pressure build up before is because you had a hole in the hose.

But I thought that much pressure is not normal and the cap is supposed to vent pressure if it builds up that much? Also, that means that the splice I added caused it to overpressurize the tank?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Canister is up front by washer reservoir. There's a smaller vacuum line that runs behind the engine to a metal line. Disconnect it and also the small vent line at the tank. Then you can blow it out

Back