• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJs in paradise?

Metal Thrasher

NAXJA Forum User
My family spent the past week on Oahu in the Hawaiian islands. Being a car enthusiast in general I paid a lot of attention to the mix of vehicles on the road. Keeping a special eye out for XJs. I didn't see very many modifed Jeeps either XJ or Wrangler although we did stumble upon some defenite 4x4ing areas (the Westward end of the island). What really got to me was the number of XJs that were people's homes.
Hawaii103.jpg

All the public parks had tents pitched in them with people making their homes beneath tarp and canvas. When we got to the Western outskirts of the North Shore we began finding vehicles with tarps strung out from them and various other signs of habitation. I counted more than eight of these that were XJs. I read in the local newspapers that the government has been taking steps to clear the parks and the homeless are moving inland. I don't know enough about the situation to voice an opinion but I do think it is a good idea for us all to remember that the vehicle we depend for transprtation is the roof over other peoples heads that protects them from the elements as they sleep at night.

Interesting. I've never heard anything about the homeless problem. Of course, the tourism industry doesn't want that to get out.

Well, at least they have a nice view.

Hmm. thats kind of interesting, thinking that what we play on the trails with is someones house.

i guess if you fold the rear seat down theres enough room to fit like a twin sized bed in there.

KarlVP said:
My wife and I used to sleep in the XJ on camping trips all the time. It was a little tight, but we managed.

Now we have the craftmatic adjustable ZJ.

well arnt you lucky. ive only slept in mine once, that was in the passenger seat. i didnt wanna move everything outta the back. it was 2 in the morning in the woods.

yeah i was in maui yesterday and the only jeeps i saw were the new wranglers rented out by the car companies, and 1 or 2 nice lifted xjs kinda dissapointing, mostly i saw older trucks with a small lift and super wide tires made for the sand

I got plenty of sleep in mine of the weekend in fact I went 3 days without sleeping in my bed

Years ago now (last time I was on the Islands) I had several conversations about these homeless people on Maui (I assume it is probably a similar issue on each of the Islands). Turns out many of these homeless people choose to live like this, very relaxed, work sometimes, there are lots of facilities for outdoor showers and such and they like the lifestyle. However, I suspect that the significant cost of living on the Islands probably has more to do with this problem than many people want to believe.

Either way, I think I would rather sleep in my tent than in my XJ.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Either way, I think I would rather sleep in my tent than in my XJ.

well at least if you sleep in your XJ you dont have to take anything down when you decide to drive somewhere. some tents can be a pain in the arse.

also if you look at the crime rate of hawaii its a lot higher than many cities most of it petty due to in part my guess would be to the homeless/jobless population, also drug use is higher per capita than most states too.

my guess is while some people choose to live like that many are unable to get a job due to criminal backgrounds etc. I personally cannot fathom why someone would rather sleep in a tent and not work rather then be a productive member of society, granted there are many different reasons for homelesness/joblessness, but I hope and pray that I will never have to use my xj as a home.

Doyle said:
, granted there are many different reasons for homelesness/joblessness, but I hope and pray that I will never have to use my xj as a home.

That is exactly what I was thinking as I looked upon these sites.

Dog says
"Stay off the Ice. Then you dont have to live in your Cherokee Bra!"
DogtheBountyHunter_Still.jpg

Homelss, Jobless ice heads or not, I still want to go to Hawaii.

i would live in my XJ why the heck not? Get a 24hour fitness membership and you have your toilet and showers taken care of. Still work just live lean.

Blkxjkrawler said:
Dog says
"Stay off the Ice. Then you dont have to live in your Cherokee Bra!"
DogtheBountyHunter_Still.jpg

Homelss, Jobless ice heads or not, I still want to go to Hawaii.

OHMYGOD. i was waiting for that. i was actually thinking of making a "Dog" referance. im glad someone did.

loller. :roflmao:

I sleep in my XJ on tent camping trips. It is easier for old guys like me to get up in the morning.

Years ago I lived in the back of my Blazer to save money to move 800 plus miles. It was in the summer for about two months. I showered at friends places. It kind of sucked living out of the Blazer but it wasn't as bad as some of the places I had to sleep in the Army.

That has to be the best place to be homeless, though. They'd never get cold!

Hawaii FTW!:sunshine:

Back