• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Yeah if you plan to wheel your jeep, you're going to hit your bumpers and rockers if you're not careful.

Been there done that on my 3 other XJs ;) That's why rock rails were one of the first pieces of armor I built for this one.

Did some work on mine yesterday. Front coils were bowing, so I adjusted the control arms up front. Added a 3/4" spacer while I was in there to get the front closer to the rear in height.

I took the driver's door panel off and greased the mechanisms for the door lock. Didn't change anything, so I gave up on that. Super productive weekend.

I took the driver's door panel off and greased the mechanisms for the door lock. Didn't change anything, so I gave up on that. Super productive weekend.

I found thinnish spray lube worked wonders here as it's able to get into the nooks and crannies of the mechanisms. WD40 has actually served me pretty well in these spots, then exercise the lock and latch mechanisms repeatedly to work it though them. If they haven't ever been done or it's been a long time it'll take a good soaking to really get them loosened up.

Finally sold the Mazdaspeed3. Dropped my RAM no drill tablet mount in for topomap greatness. And wired my 1500watt inverter with jumper cable clips.

dd2ae5c775b6c5802d88d396d1ccb5a5.jpg

ad8522c1cd28a66ab2b244893c6466f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hey Devildog, if you replaced the seals the window slides in where did you find them? I looked a while back and wasn’t able to find them.

Hey Devildog, if you replaced the seals the window slides in where did you find them? I looked a while back and wasn’t able to find them.
Www.teamcherokee.com

Its not a cheap job. It was around 350 dollars in seals.

Got my first oil analysis on this Jeep back. Looks like its got a coolant leak at he head which is probably whats causing the increased bearing materials in the oil.

Im seeing no signs of losing or burning coolant though. No drops in radiator or resiviour levels, no sweet smells from exhaust and no evidence of coolant in oil. Im going to do a test strip test on the coolant and see what it says.

Looks like a top end refresh may be in my future. :/

85c506bedb4aa14ab39a5b1fd4e90433.jpg

I wouldn’t mind paying $350 to have new seals. How long did it take to take your doors apart and how difficult was it?

I wouldn’t mind paying $350 to have new seals. How long did it take to take your doors apart and how difficult was it?
Couple of hours. Took about 2 to do the driver's side and about 1 to do the passenger side. Most of that time on the driver's side was figuring out what angle to get he windows out and what order everything needed to come out and go back in. Passenger side went much smoother.

https://youtu.be/dUAr4P1ND50

I replaced the Bilstein 5150's on the front of my XJ with some 5165's. The ride is much smoother, less jarring when it hit a rut and far less body roll. The bad? The 5165 have eye top and bottom. I had to use some adopters. That reduced my up travel by 1.5" +/- which is bad. I need to add another 1" of bump stop. Maybe I could use some shorter adopters. Some of those pieces that came on the XJ rear anti roll bar come to mind. I have to research the availability.

Previously, there were 4" up travel between the bump stop and the axle pad and 4.5" on the shock. The new shocks have 3.5" of up travel left.

Thanks for the video!

I replaced the Bilstein 5150's on the front of my XJ with some 5165's. The ride is much smoother, less jarring when it hit a rut and far less body roll. The bad? The 5165 have eye top and bottom. I had to use some adopters. That reduced my up travel by 1.5" +/- which is bad. I need to add another 1" of bump stop. Maybe I could use some shorter adopters. Some of those pieces that came on the XJ rear anti roll bar come to mind. I have to research the availability.

Previously, there were 4" up travel between the bump stop and the axle pad and 4.5" on the shock. The new shocks have 3.5" of up travel left.

I've been thinking of going with the 5165's or 7100's myself. Though I really don't want to reduce uptravel. Which adapters did you use?

Dropped off the two driveshafts I have to get rebuilt and one shortened. Turns out the one that needed shortening was bent, so it needed retubing anyways. I'll be picking them up tomorrow!

I've been thinking of going with the 5165's or 7100's myself. Though I really don't want to reduce uptravel. Which adapters did you use?

From 4 wheel parts, they are EXP 690001

So on Sunday I did some work on my front end. My coils were bowed so it was fairly crashy over bumps since I redid the axles 2 years ago. I don't know why it never clicked in my brain that I could adjust my adjustable control arms and fix that problem... had the lengths set based on the chart floating around online.

Lengthened the lowers half an inch and the uppers a quarter of an inch, and pulled the stock isolator to replace with a Daystar 3/4" lift spacer. Didn't finish Sunday as I ran out of daylight. Last night when I got home I torqued everything to spec and took it for a test drive.

I thought it was driving good before with the Deavers on the back. It's amazing now. The front springs actually spring. I've got better caster and therefore control. If I upgrade the shocks I think this thing will get even better!

Ready to go for ROM now.

Picked up the driveshafts that I had rebuilt. Going to slap one in the jeep in a little while and make sure 4lo works!

2019-03-15.jpg

Back