• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Renix Coolant Temp Sensor Question

randy57

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone recently replaced their coolant temperature sensor in their 1990 4.0? This one is the stock one and fits into the side of the block up by the left engine mount? If so was it like this one or did you have to modify an aftermarket one?

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone recently replaced their coolant temperature sensor in their 1990 4.0? This one is the stock one and fits into the side of the block up by the left engine mount? If so was it like this one or did you have to modify an aftermarket one?

Thanks in advance.

hmm.. the coolant sensor on my '90XJ is located on the back of the head on the drivers side. Are you sure that isn't the knock sensor?

Okay.

Temp SENDER for the gauge is at the driver's side back of head.
Temp SENSOR for the ECU is down low on driver's side block.
Temp SWITCH for turning the electric fan on is in the lower left hand side of the radiator.

Now, to the OP: Why are you wanting to replace that SENSOR?

Okay.

Temp SENDER for the gauge is at the driver's side back of head.
Temp SENSOR for the ECU is down low on driver's side block.
Temp SWITCH for turning the electric fan on is in the lower left hand side of the radiator.

Now, to the OP: Why are you wanting to replace that SENSOR?

I was referring to the sensor that is down low on driver's side block, like you had mentioned, just behind the motor mount bracket. It's 1/2 inch or so above the oil pan.

I thought it was a coolant temp sensor. I think it was moved to the thermostat on later years.

I wanted to upload a picture of it but the only option I see for that is via a webpage link

It does.
I was freaking out because I did a ohms test on it and got nothing.
Called dealer for a part number I could reference. But all the coolant temp sensors I searched for and part number I got looked nothing like the knock sensor (which I thought was the coolant sensor)
I was thinking: here I go again, scrap the jeep because of a small part I cant find.

It does.
I was freaking out because I did a ohms test on it and got nothing.
Called dealer for a part number I could reference. But all the coolant temp sensors I searched for and part number I got looked nothing like the knock sensor (which I thought was the coolant sensor)
I was thinking: here I go again, scrap the jeep because of a small part I cant find.

well, you dodged a bullet!!!!

The new sensors are different in that they are 2 piece. Basically a stud that screws into the block, and the sensor that sips over the stud.

The one on my '88 hasn't worked in years.

Back