• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for suggestions on a new rear axle. (noobish)

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 94 2 door auto 231 combo with abs(hence my problem).

I've got 3 inches of lift. rough country a.a.l with new coils.
I'm looking to upgrade my rear axle to something better. my future plans are 4.5 inches of lift ish and 32-33's. i know the dana 35 isn't great. what would be the best axle for me. i know a 8.8 and 44 are decent, but would a 29s 8.25 work fine?

Is it worth my while for a 29 spline 8.25?

I don't plan to ever go over 4.5 or excessive trimming. i like the improved factory look and it's to high for my liking and she is my daily right now.

also can a 29s 8.25 be found with a factory ls? my tudry-5 has a one right now(factory). i know the after market has one. my mother has a 02 kj with a ls we put in when it's axle took a shit.

Thank you guys for help.

(if this is in the wrong spot please let me know. I'm new here and it's my first post.)

Chrysler 8.25 29 spline axle is a great axle that isn't to expensive or hard to find. I upgraded to one under my rig and so did my brother, we are both running 35's with stock gears, his is locked and mine has a LSD, both are trussed and I don't get out wheeling as much but my bro wheels the crap out of his rig doing the Rubicon a few times a year and other trails and neither of us have broken shafts or had any issues.

Ah thank you good sir. Im new to naxja and xj's, it's my first car for while i'm at college. I'm not a rockcrawler type of guy, i'm more of a forest trail type so i don't think i need pure beef but a least something better. plus discs would be nice.

Ah thank you good sir. Im new to naxja and xj's, it's my first car for while i'm at college. I'm not a rockcrawler type of guy, i'm more of a forest trail type so i don't think i need pure beef but a least something better. plus discs would be nice.

8.25s don't come with discs, but you could do a ZJ disc swap while you're at it. 29spline 8.25s w/LSD go for about $200-250 near me (Southern Cali). I got my non-LSD axle from a low-milage 2001 for $125.

It's a good axle, I put one in mine to replace the 35. I only run 31s but I enjoy wheelspin and not worrying about it when I'm out in the boonies. Perfect for your college DD + forest service roads. It was an easy swap, my friend and I swapped it in an evening with no prior experience in that sort of thing.

Last edited:
thanks. this is my second xj technically but my first car.

my first one i had was totaled after only a month of owning it. hit and run by a full size truck crushed my passenger a pillar 6 inches. another two door 4.0 auto with the lift now on my current rig. it had an 8.25 but 27s. junked the axle with the striped body since my father was insistent on keeping abs at the time.

ive thought about doing the disc swap for better brakes. yes indeed the factory one sucks. nice think about the 8.25 is it's a bolt in swap if left drum. the discs could be installed off the car for an easier install.

junked the axle with the striped body since my father was insistent on keeping abs at the time.
Sounds like you are ready to do away with the ABS, which is what happens when you get away from the D-35.

LSD 8.25 came In the upcountry packaged xj's so look for that, also look in the glove compartment for the las sticker if you're at the junk yard to see if the vehicle came with it.

Yeah. i know the abs system is pathetic and the drums with it just don't stop worth a damn.
I looked into the d44 but the rarity of them means a higher cost. I want to do this right but my other project back home takes priority. 1961 ford ranchero that funny enough is getting a ford 8.8 under the rear. yes it's the explorer axle

Would it be possible to find a lsd 8.25 with 4.11? i know i can add it later but if i upgrade to the new axle, why not get the lsd to.

would it be worth while to wait for the right axle to enter the yards or jump on one if i could at least fine a 29 spline with 4.11. if i upgrade to an open, i loose lsd( apparently my d35 came with a factory true-track)

Would it be possible to find a lsd 8.25 with 4.11? i know i can add it later but if i upgrade to the new axle, why not get the lsd to.
Many '96 and later 4 cyl. Manual trans. Cherokees came with 8.25 and 4.11's.
BUT, they can be either 27 or 29 spline and you can't be absolutely sure without pulling an axle and counting.
First mod. I did to my '96 2wd. was add a PowerTrax Limited Slip locker because it's embarrassing getting stuck on wet grass . . .
I've had it in for 50K+ miles and been through Death Valley, Joshua Tree and many other "four wheel drive" roads (except for that time on Cleighorn . . . )
Mike

Last edited:
I used a Ford 8.8 from an Exploder ( Explorer��) came w/ a posi and I haven't broke it yet..... But I was able to put it in because I have fab skills... If U know a welder or can do it yerself it's a nice way to get posi & disc brake rear w/o too much hassle

I used a Ford 8.8 from an Exploder ( Explorer��) came w/ a posi and I haven't broke it yet..... But I was able to put it in because I have fab skills... If U know a welder or can do it yerself it's a nice way to get posi & disc brake rear w/o too much hassle

My first rear axle swap was an 8.8 and it's a cheap option for strength and disc brakes. But it's also an anchor.

For someone who's sticking to 33's or 35's, an 8.25 comes ready to bolt in and is some junkyard parts away from disc brakes. It doesn't hang the diff low like an 8.8 is.

C8.25 29-spline should be plentiful. Gear ratio will vary, of course. If you still with 97-up XJ then it will be 29-spl. and as already stated 4cyl + manual will most likely have 4.10s.

Back