• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumped with issues

Treleaven

NAXJA Forum User
Ill try to keep this simple

97 Cherokee 4.0 with AW4, NP242, snorkel, 33's, no transmission cooler

- few weeks ago, got stuck, used winch, ground on battery was crap and melted my ground terminal clamp. Replaced with nice new for both positive and negative
- week later the Jeep would start stalling once it got hot and not start for another 30 min. Happens when pushing through deep snow in 4lo. Checked cap and rotor and the rotor was garbage. Replaced both and no issues for a few weeks.
- today out wheeling, it happened again, and I lost overdrive on the way out of the bush

NSS is new. Tomorrow I'm going to check the TPS. Any other suggestions? I have a fairly new CPS I can install to test but not sure why I would have lost overdrive.

Is it related?

May be related, maybe not. Find the OBD-II computer sensor that has become heat sensitive. CPS is a likely suspect.

Buy/install transmission cooler. Use Dexron_III/Mercon. Load Test Battery. Load Test alternator. Check fan belt condition and tension. Test fuel pressure.

Last edited:
In addition to the other suggestions. Since replacing the rotor helped, I suggest you get the ignition coil checked under load. The ignition coil may be slowly dying and not putting out enough voltage to the spark plugs under load. Forget continuity checks. If the internal coil windings are shorting out, the number of winding will be reduced (i.e. lower voltage to the plugs) but the continuity will be fine. Cracking of the coil's outer surface can also allow moisture to get into the coil.

Best regards,

CJR

Back