• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

does anyone run with frame strengtheners on their jeeps?

jeepster89

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if it was at all worth the 300 bucks to put frame strengthener kit on my jeep iv heard its good iv heard its bad wanted to see if ne one does actually have them and a frist hand experience

I run the detours rock slyders with the frame strengthener built in. they are a great product, no issues, easy bolt/weld on.

Frame strengthener gives a noticeble ride change. They limit the flex of the unibody and can make the highway run a little less comfortable to say the least. As for off road there will be lot less twist on the trail and the suspension has to work a little more.

IMHO, overall I think they are a good investment.
my $.02.

Aaron

99xjache said:
I run the detours rock slyders with the frame strengthener built in. they are a great product, no issues, easy bolt/weld on.

Frame strengthener gives a noticeble ride change. They limit the flex of the unibody and can make the highway run a little less comfortable to say the least. As for off road there will be lot less twist on the trail and the suspension has to work a little more.

IMHO, overall I think they are a good investment.
my $.02.

Aaron
How much did your body twist on the trail so that now that you have them installed your suspension works more :confused:

In general they are a great idea, but for the money that you're gong to spend them I think you'd be better off finding someone that can box your frame rails (or weld 3/16" 3x3 angle iron).

check out http://www.tntcustoms.com they've got a nice frame stiffener kit. If/when I do something like that, that's the kit I'll probably go with. The T&T kit is actually plate that's been bent to fit the XJ unibody rails, it's not just angle iron... ;)

I too went with the Detours slider with frame reinforcement. I liked the concept that the rock rails were tied to the uniframe and the uniframe was reinforced.
The whole unibody is strengthened and then when tied in with a transfere skid that ties both sides of the frame together you have formed a steel frame "H" under you body. The stiffeners along with the rails protect the sides and undercarraiage, then along with bumpers front and rear, I am totally boxed-in with steel reinforcement.
I can not say that it negatively effected the ride quality. I have lifted and change springs, so the ride is stiffer, but the on-road handling is firm not harsh, like a sports suspension instead of a bouncey one.

jeepster89 said:
well if i didnt have them wouldnt it make it so my doors stwist and they wont be bale to close after i get off the trail cuz thats what i have heard.

Translator said:
Well, if I did not have them, would it not make it so my door frames twist and I would not be able to close the doors after I get off the trail? That is what I have heard.

Answer: No.

Rev

jeepster89 said:
blah blah blah....i was looking to buy these no welding needed http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-xj-chassiskit.htm
bzzzzzzt...Know what you're getting into before you buy

Welding is needed - look closely at the pics. I've seen these on the Jeepspeed rigs and they are hella stout, but that bar gets in the way of some bolt on stuff like rock sliders, drop bracket braces and some cross members and skids. Leaving you to figure out how to fab that stuff to work with the stiffeners.

I made mine out of 3x6 tubing (12 ft. stick) and split it down the middle with a plasma cutter, cost = $50. If the TNT stiffeners where out at the time I made mine I would have gotten them to save time (not money), but I still would have added more to them.
It stiffened up the roofless XJ allot and I need a soild foundation to tie my cage into. I also tied the rails into my drop brackets, sliders and front and rear leaf spring mounts. Lots of carefull stitch and rossett welding with the mig.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

jeepster89 said:
well if i didnt have them wouldnt it make it so my doors stwist and they wont be bale to close after i get off the trail cuz thats what i have heard. and i jsut bought some rock rails but no frame strengthener combo thing i was looking to buy these no welding needed http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-xj-chassiskit.htm
I got the T and J kit used off of this board, with the skids, stage II or something. They do need welding. We put them on and welded nearly all of them on...we ran out of gas on the last 1/2 of the second one. I can tell you they made such a difference, my WIFE comment on how quiet the truck became. From the time I drove it out of the garage after install...no more squeaks or groans. It was really amazing how quiet it got! I would recommend them. It has made my rock rail situation more complicated. I figure I'll just weld them to the Chassis Stiffeners.
HTH

ANyone got pics or atleast good tips for installing the TNT stiffiners? I want to order them, but I am no welder.

ZachMan said:
ANyone got pics or atleast good tips for installing the TNT stiffiners? I want to order them, but I am no welder.

TnT frame stiffeners and long arm kit.

CRW_7199.jpg

CRW_7200.jpg

CRW_7201.jpg

ZachMan said:

well they are pretty simple to put on it looks like they are bend to fit nice and tight. The welding will be your problem, i would not pic upside down on the uniframe rails as the first choice for one to teach himself to weld. I dont weld yet either so i am not busting your ballz, just get a buddy if you can, a local jeep club will have guys that can do it for beer money and pizza, or go to a local hotrod, or 4x4 shop. Any good welder could put those on. If you havent welded it takes a skilled hand on that thin uniframe to not jack it up.

lil' XJ said:
Why "stitch" (I'm assuming that means small circular welds thru drilled holes) weld as opposed to normal welds all the way or enev 4" welds every 4' or so?
You got it backwards there.
Welds thru drilled holes are commonly called rossetts.

lil' XJ said:
Why "stitch" (I'm assuming that means small circular welds thru drilled holes) weld

That's a plug weld.

lil' XJ said:
as opposed to normal welds all the way or enev 4" welds every 4' or so?

4" every 4" on the perimeter is a stitch weld.

The TNT stiffener angles are pretty slick, and fit well to even a well flexed unibody rail. One of the secrets is to get them tacked on without any gaps between the rails and the angles on both the vertical and horizontal surfaces, which means using lots of Vise Grip 11" clamps and a jack with a block; and doing a meticulous job of weld prep on the rails, especially on the outside up high and in the bend where the rail meets the floor pan. Pulling out any dents in the rails should also be considered.

Now, the primeter welding is smething I don't like, at least along the outside, upper edge. Offset pattern plugs, possibly triple row might be a better idea on the outside of the angle. The lower "inside" horizontal edge is fine... welding on the outside bend of the rails is a sound practice.

In all, they are a weight effective means of stress displacement. :D

--ron

I didn't plan it that way, but I guess my rocker guard design makes for a good frame stiffener too. They aren't attached to the rusty rockers at all. The bars go through the frame and are welded to both sides using plates to spread out the load.
Jeep on!
--Pete

94612925.jpg

94645232.jpg

103748814.jpg

103747036.jpg

well I have installed one set of TnT's adn have one set for my own thats going on this weekend.

I have to say install was very easy but time needs to be spent with unirail stripping to ensure a good weld. The top area on the outside of the unibody rails are a PITA to get to. I understand that the stifn. needed to extend as hign up on the rails as poss but that makes for a very tough to wld angle with the floor board there.

I also used about 5 clamps per side and two jacks. Key is to get them as flush to the rail as poss. I used them to tie the cage to the rails. I did about a dozen stitches on the side and a dozen on the lower areas and then of course where they form to the frame theres slits left to weld to the uni.

all in all I think it was a great product to help get a stout and full attachment to the unibody with the cage. Dont forget thier front crossmember and steering box kits too! if you do a through the firewall and to teh front frame tie in it helps to attach to. Not to mention the crossmember allows yoru bumper to actually have a handfull more attachment points.

Heres a link to the album of the cage with the stiffners installed. I hope it works...

http://gallery.srtforums.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3235&ppuser=13708

other wise heres a few of the siffners alone.

334600041.JPG

334600031.JPG

and what tied to them..

33460005.JPG

Last edited:
Back