• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Rebuild Cost

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with the I-6 4.0. I just recently hit 220k and the transmission is starting to slip. Does anyone know how much it will cost to rebuild because I certainly have no idea. I live in the Chattanooga, Tn area so if anyone lives near me I would greatly appreciate some recommendations on who to go to around here.

I'm guessing $1400. You have to be a real good mechanic to rebuild one yourself.

I would just pick up a used tranny (thats been tested), and install, or have it installed.

I could tell you a sad horror story about how an AW4 rebuild at a Chrysler dealership cost me about $5000.00 in 2001, but I don't want to bring up those painful memories. :(

96 Cherokee said:
I could tell you a sad horror story about how an AW4 rebuild at a Chrysler dealership cost me about $5000.00 in 2001, but I don't want to bring up those painful memories. :(

:eek:

when my mom had hers done it her 99 taurus it was over 1000 easily. when i blew the tranny in my f-150 i went and bought a tranny from a jy for 300 and then had a local mechanic install it for another 300, so 600 total and it is still going strong since i sold it to my dad.

My 90's AW4 was $1499 out the door.

$1500 is in the ballpark including labor, but for gods sake make sure your TPS is not the actuall problem which it usually is. A simple volt meter test will rule it out. Theres been plenty of victims of un-necessary rebuilds.

Back