• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft vibes

A_J

NAXJA Forum User
Possible Dumb Question Alert:::::::

90 XJ, 3.5 inch lift, np 242, SYE, TW rear shaft, 4 deg shims on the rear

I have some vibes that I'm sure are coming from the front shaft (I took off the shaft and the vibes went away) now I want to know what to do next.

After the lift and SYE I had to shim the rear axle to stop the rear driveline vibes. Could the font shaft be having the same issue? I didn't shim it b/c I hadn't read anywhere that I needed to, but I'm thinking that might be the problem.

The shaft is off the jeep now b/c I am replacing the u-joints just to rule that out, so I don't have the angles on the front. It *looked* ok, but I didn't measure so I'm not 100% sure.

So I guess I have two questions:
1) Has anyone had to shim the front axle after a similar lift (3.5")?
2) Am I doing any damage to the front diff by running without the front shaft in place? I don't plan to leave it for more than a couple of days, but I want to be sure I'm not screwing anything up.

thanks in advance for the help.

You won't do any damage by not having the front driveshaft in. I've never heard of shimming the front axle. How bad were the U-joints? That could be your problem.

U-joints were pretty good actually, so that's why I think the shims may be needed. The CV joint U's looked like they hadn't been lubed in a while, but otherwise ok, so I'm not going to replace them just lube them up.

Back