• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

red gasket maker ok with rubber pan gasket?

SeansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
im doing the rms in the morning...i realized i bought the red instead of black, i have never used the red. will i be ok? or should i get the black?

thanks
Sean

what does it say on the packaging?

you also need to add a dab of rtv at each end of the rms.

how far from an autoparts store do you live where you cant just go and get another can/tube of gasket maker?

yeah doing the RMS is not the problem. i just wanted to know if red will be ok. it says oil pans, but not if its for cork or rubber.

yeah doing the RMS is not the problem. i just wanted to know if red will be ok. it says oil pans, but not if its for cork or rubber.

isnt gasket maker used by itself without a gasket or seal. i use a thin layer rtv on rubber gaskets.

Last edited:
i just walked my lazy arse to the parts store and got black to be safe. now i gotta find a brass punch, seems its a hard tool to track down in my area.

i hit every parts store around here, nothing. hobby stores are all 30 mins away, guess i might be takin a trip. im thinking Sears might carry them, im gonna call right now. thanks guys!

You can use aluminum - that's what came with my universal RMS kit in the '80's. And if you are using the rubber pan gasket, just dab the corners of the seal and front timing cover. The gasket can do all the rest.

Scraping off all the old paper gasket - that's the tough item.

Back