• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

first time gear setup....need help

As long as the backlash is fairly close to spec, don't focus on getting the backlash zeroed in at the same time as you're adjusting the pinion depth. Just keep the backlash within a reasonable range of spec. What I'm saying is there is no way backlash out of spec will cause that pattern, pinion is too deep....

got the pinion out today there was .010 shim behind the race along with the baffle so .030 because the baffle is .020.
preload shims totaled .084
I guess ill leave the .010 depth shim out and try the baffle only for a total of .020 depth shim and run a pattern on that.

It's getting better. Run a feeler gauge .002" between both inner and outer pinion bearings cups and case makes sure it is seated proper....along with the inner pinion bearing...just to make sure the original guy did seat them properly...

other then that pinion depth is looking better but can be fine tuned more. Remove .005" set backlash within spec range and check....you can control heel to toe to and extent with backlash....and root/land with pinion depth

thanks for the help....appreciate it.
i was gonna go out there today and mess with lash im having a hard time keeping the pinion from moving during backlash so its skewing my numbers i suspect.

1. If you can't rock the ring gear back and forth to test backlash without the pinion moving, your pinion bearing preload is too low. With new bearings you want about 15-20 in-lb of rolling torque.

2. The factory gears used a variable spaced shim under the pinion head. Aftermarket replaces this with a nominal .030 and then shims are placed under the cup in the housing, plus the baffle.

If it were me, I would do (1) and post up another pattern before moving more pinion depth shims around.

This is what im buttoning it up at...backlash .009.
looks Slight deep but its hard to really know with used gears so I think this is as good as im gonna get.

Oh and i learned the importance of have some pinion preload whil checking BL....really helps the pinion not move and mess up your reading.:yelclap:

Another thing that i learned while regearing a front axle is throw conventional used gear wisdom out and read drive pattern because the coast side is the one thats gonna be worn in more(unless you drive in 4wheel 24-7)

While the coast side is where the gears will running the most, there will be no load on them! So as for wear?

Yes.

The Dana and Jeep manuals say 15-35 in-lbs. I aim on the low end of it.

There will be some wear on the coast side, after all, its always spinning and dragging around the driveshaft.

You could likely get a better pattern if you kept making adjustments.

The Dana and Jeep manuals say 15-35 in-lbs. I aim on the low end of it.

There will be some wear on the coast side, after all, its always spinning and dragging around the driveshaft.

You could likely get a better pattern if you kept making adjustments.

i think it will run fine....slight deep
couldev took another couple thou out of the depth but also couldev spent the rest of my life in the garage trying to get a textbook pattern from a used gearset.:gee:

Back