• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Early vs Late production XJ design change questions

bajabug

NAXJA Forum User
I'm gonna replace my hubs, u-joints, rotors, calipers, ect on both sides. I was wondering which "version" of the hubs I should get(-99 or 99.5+) Is there a reason to get one over the other, or are they both just as "good?" Just wondering if one was more desirable than the other for any inherent reason. I noticed that for the 99.5+ I can actually get Mopar branded hubs, however a reviewer said that they were made in China and not really "OEM Mopar" replacements so to speak. Any actual info on that? Otherwise the consensus is Timken I assume? People are saying that some Timkens are more cheaply made than others so can anyone point me to the "good" ones?

As for knuckles, I have heard mixed opinions on the omix and crown offerings. I'm looking for the best "OEM spec" in reference to build quality and durability. Afterall I'm doing this whole thing so that I don't have to worry about it for another 200k miles, and my knuckles are grooved quite a bit. I'm willing to spend more on good stuff. Also, what about the early vs newer style knuckles/calipers? I kind of like the idea of the early calipers that eliminate the knuckle wear from the pads sliding. Sure they will wear the caliper instead, but a caliper is a lot less work to remove and fix.

Since I'm replacing it all, should I put the early style hubs, knuckles, and calipers on my 99? I have abs also, not that I care if it's lost, but just letting that be known.

It would help if we know what year you have? Timken bearings are what you want regardless of year.

The only issue iirc was the top-hat construction on a '99 but otherwise everythings the same, Timken,Timken,Timken

Doesn't matter which version you choose, they both work.

Check out the Frequently Asked Questions, and read the one called "Brake rotor/hub differences through the years"

( https://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245269210&postcount=22 )

Most Crown Automotive and OmixAda parts are about the same quality as the crap at IdiotZone and O'Reilly Auto Parts. Most of it fits poorly or wears out quickly, or does both at once. I would either buy genuine Jeep knuckles, find better condition genuine Jeep parts at the junkyard, or weld up the grooved wear points.

Buy Spicer u-joints and Timken hubs.

Last edited:
Ive been hearing some grumblings on other forums about Timken hubs and made in china stamped on the bearings. I was listening to the Jeep talkshow recently where they interviewed a Timken rep and it sounds like the Hubs are no longer built by timken themselves in the US. Ill have to go back and relisten to tbag specific episode.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Check out the reviews section. One reviewer claims to have called Timken and was told they were switching suppliers. Take that for what its worth. Id be wary of blindly following any brand in todays global economy.

Timken HA597449 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZAF36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OQNVDbGHQYBWF

Last edited:
Check out the reviews section. One reviewer claims to have called Timken and was told they were switching suppliers. Take that for what its worth. Id be wary of blindly following any brand in todays global economy.

Yep!

Moog used to be a safe bet too. Not so much anymore.

D@mn bean counters.

:smsoap:

I always figure if the time comes I am going with the SKF's through Napa.
The BRG line ones and not the PGB ones.
You can get SKF through Rock Auto. A SKF hub is what's currently sitting on my spare parts shelf.

You can get SKF through Rock Auto. A SKF hub is what's currently sitting on my spare parts shelf.

I should have mentioned I work there so my pricing is the same or better then RockAuto. Especially after shipping. LOL.
But yeah Rockauto would probably have better pricing then most.

I discovered a failing hub late on a Saturday afternoon and the only replacements to be had that late were Autozone Valuecraft hubs.

I bought both sides fully expecting to be replacing them again in 30,000 miles. I've put over 100,000 miles on them and they are still good. Color me surprised... :dunno:

Timken used to be the go-to bearing of choice but given the stories I've been hearing about them lately I'm leery of their quality. Sounds like SKF is the way to go now.

SKF isn't a guarantee that the bearings aren't made in China either. All the name-brand bearing, brake, and automotive manufacturers are in a race to the bottom for pricing. Some have completely outsourced product lines to Chinese companies, and pricing takes priority over quality control. At least some companies like Moog have separate value and high-quality product lines so you can decide.

Back