• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shift light

swany

NAXJA Forum User
ok what is with the shift light, is it a bad thing to shift after the arrow lights? i want to just take the bulb out it is so anoying. some one please tell me if this thing is needed or just a light in your face.

not needed, the light is there for regular people who dont know when they should shift.

The light is there so the jeep can say its u fault if u over rev and break the engine.

jeepdude10000 said:
not needed, the light is there for regular people who dont know when they should shift.

The light is there so the jeep can say its u fault if u over rev and break the engine.
no, it's not a redline/overrev light.
The shift light is controlled by the ECU and it judges when to light it based on many engine management factors. MAP sensor input, tach data, TPS data. It's supposed to tell you when to shift for the greatest fuel economy.

87manche said:
no, it's not a redline/overrev light.
The shift light is controlled by the ECU and it judges when to light it based on many engine management factors. MAP sensor input, tach data, TPS data. It's supposed to tell you when to shift for the greatest fuel economy.

At which it fails quite thoroughly. Besides, I got tired of it telling me to shift up in fifth (before I quit using fifth altogether.)

It seems to like to cruise down around 1800-2200rpm, when you actually get better mileage cruising up around 2700-3000rpm anyhow.

So, just pull the bulb out. Damn thing's useless and annoying...

5-90

5-90 said:
At which it fails quite thoroughly. Besides, I got tired of it telling me to shift up in fifth (before I quit using fifth altogether.)

It seems to like to cruise down around 1800-2200rpm, when you actually get better mileage cruising up around 2700-3000rpm anyhow.

So, just pull the bulb out. Damn thing's useless and annoying...

5-90
agreed, I ignore it, always feel as if I'm lugging the motor if I shift. Merely a correction that it's not a"redline" indicator.
It's also not supposed to light up in 5th gear. Supposed to be a swtch that tells it not to. Mine doesn't work because I've got an AX-15 in a factory pukegoat MJ, I put a piece of tape over it, it's easier than taking the dash apart ;)

87manche said:
agreed, I ignore it, always feel as if I'm lugging the motor if I shift. Merely a correction that it's not a"redline" indicator.
It's also not supposed to light up in 5th gear. Supposed to be a swtch that tells it not to. Mine doesn't work because I've got an AX-15 in a factory pukegoat MJ, I put a piece of tape over it, it's easier than taking the dash apart ;)

Mine even did it with the Peugeot (I just put an AX-15 in last week,) probably the Top Gear switch was blown.

Didn't care - had to replace IP lights anyhow. So, I pulled that one out and didn't bother to replace it - tossed the holder into the "spares" box. Problem solved!

5-90

still running the ba10/5. i found it quite funny that the light requests i upshift from 5th gear on the freeway. it looks as if it's not supposed to light in 5th then? i rarely notice it coming on anymore. strangely, ever since i re-adjusted the tps the light seems to come on a little sooner speedwise.

Back