• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0630 vs 0331

rstarch345Two brackets seem to work well. The only thing I haven't done is to cut the extensions going down to the block. At the time it appeared they had metal inserts in the plastic and I didn't want to fool with them. So I used the origional bolts said:
Please don't think I don't appreciate the effort you put in this mod,
my question is, what happens when you go 4X4 and you bounce all over, will it hold?
The suport from the brackets is not symmetrical, looks like it could use some support coming from somewhere lower and outboard.

Here's an earlier thread on this. That mod was shown on I think jeepsunlimited.com. The guy on there used some pretty sturdy stainless straps, and it looked like it would hold up off-road.

Thanks, that is what I had pictured in my head from you description. If that is all it takes I guess I need to pull an engine. I don't want to leave the driveline in the wreck. The block is still good, so I might do something with it later down the line, say stroke. And anything esle salvagable I might sell and the rest is going over the scales.

falcon556 said:
Please don't think I don't appreciate the effort you put in this mod,
my question is, what happens when you go 4X4 and you bounce all over, will it hold?
The suport from the brackets is not symmetrical, looks like it could use some support coming from somewhere lower and outboard.

That aluminun is 3/16" thick. I can stand on the rail. Remember, that rail only weighs about 3 lbs. Most of the weight is supported by the plugs themselves. The straps really only need to support the "flop" weight. In reality, plumbers tape at all 4 bolts could do the job. I'm just a supporter of overkill.

And yes, it is more than sufficient on the trail. I just came back from 5 days doing Moab. http://www.soxja.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391

rstarch345 said:
That aluminun is 3/16" thick. I can stand on the rail. Remember, that rail only weighs about 3 lbs. Most of the weight is supported by the plugs themselves. The straps really only need to support the "flop" weight. In reality, plumbers tape at all 4 bolts could do the job. I'm just a supporter of overkill.

And yes, it is more than sufficient on the trail. I just came back from 5 days doing Moab. http://www.soxja.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391

Sounds like a winner.
If my 01 Grand 0331 head cracks, I'll replace it with an 0630 and strap it down.

Do all "newer" XJ's have the 0331 casting? I thought I read somewere there are some that didn't

It is my understanding that any 4.0 with distributorless ignition has the 0331 head. The 0331 head is the only casting that has the mounting boses for the coil rail. So, that would mean the first 0331's were produced sometime in late '98 for the first WJ Grand Cherokees and by late '99 all 4.0's were getting the 0331 casting because all 2000 models were distributorless. Very little, if anything, changed until the very last 4.0's were built earlier this year for the last run of TJ's...the end of an era has passed.

I know a lot of people hate the 0331 head because of the cracking issues. But there are literally millions of that head casting on the road and on a % basis, the problems are pretty small considering how many are still running fine every day.

Knock on wood, hope mine doesn't crack tomorrow,,,but if it does, I'm going aluminum!

Back