• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this supposed to be this way...?

c0nfused

NAXJA Forum User
This is between the engine (or oil pan) and transmission. My transfer case split on the highway the other day and I'm worried that because of that my engine had separated from my trans as well... I can see the metal disc or band or whatever it is spinning when the engine is running. I'm assuming there isn't supposed to be a gap here...?

Help. :helpme:

http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/vv306/agb2385/Jeep Cherokee/

Last edited:
kinda hard to tell from the pics-- see if you can make them a little larger (just kidding)

see if you can move back a little and get more of the mounting surface in the picture-- the spot you're showing is less important than the actual mounting surfaces around the belhousing.

Last edited:
well as best I can recall it looks about the same, but since the only thing you're showing is the rear of the oil pan and an inspection plate, I don't know that I've studied it in very much depth.

you don't see the gap in between with the metal band showing? I figured the trans should be COMPLETELY mated to the engine without any gap and moving parts showing...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the back end of the oil pan and the front of the transmission.. I don't know what seeing other parts would help you identify...

what you're showing is the back of the oil pan and it's junction with the inspection plate (which is mounted to the transmission)

That union is less important (since the plate can move or be bent without altering the location of the transmission) than the mounting surface between the engine and the transmission.

I'm not asking to see "other parts" as much as asking to see the mounting surface to determine if you should have reason for concern.

Ok. Well it's pitch black out, so tomorrow I will take more pictures. Do you think this could have separated because my buddy and I dropped the trans slightly to try to swap my transfer case.?

assuming you just dropped the trans. mount and lowered the engine and trans as a assembly, you shouldn't have seen any movement there. Movement there would indicate looseness between the engine and transmission.

Back