• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headers or Manifold for 91XJ Daily Driver

xjerod

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed I have small cracks in my exhaust manifold and as I look for something new I am thinking about headers vs the exhaust manifold... what are your thoughts? I am undecided about which to go with.. will it make a difference for my 91 Daily Driver?

Would it help ease oil blowback?

91 Cherokee
4.0L
105k Miles

The original exhaust manifold on these WERE headers. When I got my '88 back in '99 it had some cracks and leaked. I replaced it with a factory replacement, which supposedly were improved, and it's been good for the last twenty years. I don't see these as having anything to do with the amount of blow-by you may be getting...

Whatever you decide, check your motor mounts.

...... and your exhaust mounts!

More often than not, bad motor mounts can lead to a cracked exh manifold. As the engine rocks more under changing load, it applies more force against the exhaust and it's other mounts since they are all solid mounts. One of the mods I've seen (but not done myself) is to patch in some exhaust flex pipe where the pipe crosses under the trans.

Back