• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drivetrain Noise I need help

squirrel80

NAXJA Forum User
So I have completed my XJ project only to find out that I need to start taking it all back apart. I am so discouraged right now that I am having a hard time even motivating myself to continue. Here is the history: '92 XJ with an AW4 and 231 transfer with 135,000 miles. It drove and ran fine when I started , it was completely stock. My mods: 6"BDS long arm lift with JK dana 44s regeared to 5.13, 231 was rebuilt and a Tom Woods Super Duty SYE was installed. Transmisson was completely rebuilt and and the converter was rebuilt by TCS. New front and rear Tom Woods driveline were installed and all the pinion angles are good. Everything works flawless but I am getting a drivetrain noise and a little bit of vibration. It does not sound like a gear whine and when we set them up the pattern looked very good and hit in the center of the teeth. Also I had about 7 to 8 thousands of backlash in both. The sound is more of a loud gear mesh with a little bit of a clatter. I know it is almost impossible to diagnose a sound by a text desciption but I'm looking for any sugesstions. I pulled the front drive shaft and the vibration went away a bit, but you can still here the sound. The sound starts as soon as I start to roll from a stop and is about the same under power or coast. the vibration is worse under power. I put about 100 miles on it this weekend some highway some city and some wheeling and it never got worse or better. I started to lean toward the transfer case so I have pulled it out and everything inside looks good. The only sign of any wear is a bit of rubbing on the bottom shift fork from the gear above it. I do not have the terms for this, but everything seemed to be in its place and I can't find anything wrong. Can anyone give any kind of words of encouragement in a direction to head. My next step is going to be disassembling the diffs. I just can't get motivated to take apart what I just spent months putting together.

Before you condemn the diffs... Have your driveshafts rechecked for balance.. I just had a pair of TW shafts that were no more than a month old vibrating.. Had them rebalanced and all is good again.. Also make sure there is grease in the CV on the shaft as well.. I am not saying that TW is a junk product, they are some of the nicest shafts out there.. I figured he had someone new doing the balancing duties..

My jeeper made a similar noise as the one you are describing. I could really hear it when driving next to a wall or barrier on the highway. The noise was coming from the tcase, it was the planetary gears binding up. They would freespin for a couple revolutions then lock up. There was also massive amounts of metal shavings in the case. When you pull the tcase make sure the planetary gears work right and shift it back and forth between 2wd and 4wd and spin it. Are you in Palm Springs, CA or Palm Springs, FL?

As for inland empire driveline...don't go there, they are way over priced. Go to Ed moore in San bernardino.

Back