• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need suggestions for securing a set of lights.

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
I just quick-fabbed some brackets for lights on my daily driver.

I would like to secure these somehow so they don't get stolen - or at least make it difficult.

Right now there's just a bolt, a lock washer, and a flat washer.

I'd rather not weld it.

What suggestions do you have for securing them so that anyone with a wrench can't steal the lights?

wl2.JPG

wl1.JPG

You could trash or mushroom the threading, and take a grinder and round off the points of the nut. Nothing to grip, and no threading to ride on makes a bolt pretty tough to get out.

x2 with 98xj, trash the threads or bend the bolt over. Thats what our local road dept does to signs around here to detour sign theft.

If someone wants your lights, they're going to take them. If you make it tough to remove with a wrench, what is to stop them from ripping the mount off of the bumper, causing more damage.

I would leave them as is, maybe put a nylock nut on also, those aren't as quick to remove as a regular nut.

I guess I'm looking for an option that will make it difficult to steal, but will also allow me to take it off at some point in the future if needed.

i have two BAJA lights on my brush guard and 4 on the roof, and have had no problems with people stealing them, but if u really wanna try something u can do what Travis said and do a security nut, but a cheaper option may be just a nylock nut to deter stealing them

Doesn't Loc-Tite make some thread sealants that basically require heating with a torch to remove? That could be an option.

i would agree with everybody else on this: go with a locking nut or use lock tite. PS: that's a great design for lights on the front of your Jeep. :yelclap:

Back