• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas2 with AX15: Who's done this?

sdspearo

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Which shifters do you have...XJ shifters or universal kit?
Was the 1" spacer required?
I have a '96 and prefer to not hack up the center console plastic too much.
Searched for photos but photobucket pretty much screws that up.

Which shifters do you have...XJ shifters or universal kit?
Was the 1" spacer required?
I have a '96 and prefer to not hack up the center console plastic too much.
Searched for photos but photobucket pretty much screws that up.

The spacer is definitely required. Helps with the front driveshaft angle since it’s much shorter than stock. I used the universal shifters, the XJ ones are goofy. I’ll see if I can find some pictures.

Hey Lou, any pics you can send would be great!
Especially curious of how much clearance there is between the atlas shifters and the ax15 stick. Seems like clearance/interference may be an issue unless you put a funky bend in the shifters?

Yesterday I ordered an Atlas2 with the XJ shifters (per AA recommendation) but I can easily change it since the lead time is 6wks. I'll request the spacer too.

Im running a 4speed 10.38:1 atlas 2. The space is required if you dont trim the input down. I trimmed mine.
e89a87c12e098ae78b6ebd67f9227e39.jpg

I also made my own shifters from a 4speed stock car shifter kit on speedway motors.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...MIya7eod-d6AIVXR-tBh1dfgpyEAQYASABEgIh3vD_BwE

I dont have pics of the final but I shortened and retapped the rods and modified the stock shifter mount to except the triple shifter. The atlas shifters just didnt look right to me. However that was for three sticks.

If you in the market for an atlas shifter kit for an xj i have a complete kit for sale.

Also with the 4speed atlas i was able to just about get a flat belly without cutting the floor. Took a lot of sledge hammer, and a custom rear crossmember for a rear support. And i use one spare drive shaft for front or rear use. It worked out perfectly

Last edited:
Im running a 4speed 10.38:1 atlas 2. The space is required if you dont trim the input down. I trimmed mine.

Hmmm, I didn't know that was an option. For some reason I thought the output shaft bottomed out on the inside of the atlas input.

Anyway, I won't know for sure for a while yet. Just found out the atlas I ordered was supposed to be shipping this week but Advance Adapters is shut down like alot of other places.

So I finally received the atlas with the 1" spacer. Even with the spacer I had to trim the stock tranny mount bracket.

But.....then I realized the input shaft doesn't make contact with the ax15 output seal. Measurements show the tip of the atlas input shaft to be line to line with the seal. There's a note in the install instructions to plug the weep hole in the tranny with silicone if this happens, but I decided not to. Instead I ended up milling .2" from the spacer to allow the input shaft to engage the seal.

Which of course then caused interference with the stock tranny mount.

But SFR's tranny mount solved that problem, so we're good to go :thumbup:

I really wanted to fit the shifters within the stock center console without cutting any plastic, but quickly gave up that idea. Not enough room to clear the ax15 shifter and not hit your leg.

Currently massaging the shifters...

Will the shifters work with the factory cut hole in the transmission tunnel? Or is there sheet metal that needs alteration to make this work?

You'll definitely have to cut some sheet metal, at least as far as I can tell.

I would love to see pics of where you had to cut if that is feasible.

If it is all buttoned up and too late for that I understand.

Thank you.

That suggests to me that this would be best done on my '95 when I convert it from 2wd than on my '96 which came factory 4wd.

This is what I ended up with for the console dressing around the shifters. Original goal was to leave the console plastic intact and try to snake the shifters through the OE shifter opening, but I lost patience and quickly gave up on that idea. Much easier to just make a flat platform from aluminum and use the shifter boot that AA provides. Shifters shown here are from the "XJ kit" but with additional bends and shortened a couple inches.

Came out VERY clean, great work! Definitely jealous of the twin stick goodness... front wheel burnouts! Ha, seriously tho, looks awesome. Subbed for ref one when my heep grows up.

Side note, what cage is that? Looks familiar

Thanks. The cage is made by Rock Hard.

Back