• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 95 Explorer Brake info

JoeyClements

NAXJA Forum User
What goes where on a Ford 8.8 rear end? The pads have been taken off of the rear end that I have and I have a new set but how do they go? There is a double fork on one end and a single tab on the other. They do say OR/IL or OL/IR which I am guessing means in and out right and left but they don't seem to make much sense. I have looked up plenty of sites with pads and none show the actual install, just the pads. So help me out so I can stop and not run over you!

Joey

The "double fork" goes on the top. The "single tab" goes on the bottom. The top of the caliper slides onto the bracket first, then the bottom of the caliper goes on. If that makes sense.

OK now I have changed the brakes to match the up for and down tab. Now when I hit the brakes I get a double pop with a fraction of a second delay. I suspect the pads popping 1 2 but it seems to be only on the left side. I looked and the pads look right so now what? There seems to be a 1/16 gap in the pads and the metal of the caliper I guess so thay can move a little. I checked the U joints and they seem fine.

ANY IDEAS?

You gotta make sure that the nubs on the outer pads fit EXACTLY into the holes in the calipers. Sometimes, the pad will seem to be in place but will not be all the way in.

Back