• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk noise when accelerating.

jeeplag

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I have 96 Jeep XJ 4x4 with the inline 6. It is stock with a Dana 30 in the front and a Corporate 8.25 in the rear. My issue is that when I accelerate from a stop I hear a loud clunk. After that I don't hear it unless I'm at a complete stop. One I accelerate I may hear it again, but it is not as loud. I also hear it when I go from reverse to drive. I have looked around and removed the DS to inspect the u-joint. All is good. I did notice this weekend while I was replacing the rear drum brakes that as I turned the hub on the passenger side rear the was some play and a small clunk. So I checked the drivers side rear hub and spun that. There was no play and clunk. So I'm thinking it may be an issue with a spider gear in the rear diff??? I haven't checked the rear diff but was wondering if anyone else had run into this issue.

Clunking rear axles are rather common, and not really a problem. As you have done already, one would inspect the u-joints, inspect the ring/pinion/spider gears, inspect the motor and transmission mounts, and inspect the suspension and shock bushings. Lubricating the rear output slip yoke will likely reduce the clunking.

Last edited:
Tim mentioned the slip yoke. I too have a 96 that had a clunk that you could feel rather than hear. It was the slip yoke that needed lube. That's very common on these XJs. Mine also did it when accellerating after a stop.

Back