• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got my first ass-poking from Tax Ritter's new fees...

frankenstang57

NAXJA Forum User
I went down to the DMV today to renew the plates on my Samurai and trailer. I figured I might as well get as many of my vehicles registered before HB09-108 takes full effect next month. The Sammy was $25 and the trailer should have been $15... Well guess what, my trailer plate expired in March. Colorado now charges $25 a month penalty for late renewals. I though that didn't kick in until 1 July, I was wrong. So it cost $65 to register my $15 dollar trailer. Ah yes, and this is before $41 fee increase across the board for all cars and light trucks coming next month. Even sadder, I put my Triumph Stag in storage last fall and the plates expired while it was sitting. Last year's registration was in the ball park of $32 or so. Now, If I want to put it back on the road I have to pay $100 fine for letting the registration lapse, $32 for registration, and $41 for Tax Ritter and pals "Bridge Safety Surcharge" and the "Road Safety Surcharge". $173 sounds like a good deal, doesn't it? That being said, I think I'll just sell the Stag to my wife for $1 and have her put collector's plates on it. Guys this is insane! Talk about taxation without representation! Even the clerks at the DMV were pissed due the grief coming to them in the not too distant future. >rant-off<

I saw it coming when I renewed my plates on the XJ in May. So I asked the clerk about my truck that expires in October, when it will be in storage for the winter. She said just to contact them with that info and there would be no late charge. I was pissed as it seems they don't give out that information unless asked. NO grace period!

Yeah, this ridiculous bill is causing DMV workers to really hate their jobs. In fact, all the DMV's in Jeffco have signed up to have Deputies work overtime shifts in the DMV offices as they expect LOTS of upset folks.

I've got a '46 Olds that I last registered in '99. Does that mean I'll have 10 years of fees to pay before they'll re-new my registration? It a 63 year old car that SHOULDN'T be driven in it's current condition and it's awaiting a restoration...... Are the owners of cars being currently restored for a long period of time, or awaiting restoration all going to be financially penalized when they finally get them roadworthy?

:bs:

If so many people are supposed to be upset about this, why did they vote the stupid shit into law???????????????? Wait, that's right it was attached to something that WOULD get votted in to law............. arn't we a bunch of idiots.........:cool: And we call ourselves the FREE........... LOL

This happens because no-one in power uses the idea of a "line-item veto."

While it's true that a bill is generally signed or veto'd in toto, it's entirely possible to blue-pencil the bits you don't want passed, veto-ing them, and then pass the rest.

Part of the problem is that, in their final form, bills tend to be so damned Byzantine that you can't figure out which bits you want and which you don't (the simple thing would be to kill the entire thing out of hand and tell them to send it back - simplified and without riders. But, that never happens either.)

Kinda like the whole "stimulus" bill - in final form, it ran something like 1600 pages. And you expect me to believe that the whole thing is supposed to be helpful?

Sorry. I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night.

If so many people are supposed to be upset about this, why did they vote the stupid shit into law???????????????? Wait, that's right it was attached to something that WOULD get votted in to law............. arn't we a bunch of idiots.........:cool: And we call ourselves the FREE........... LOL

If your DMV budget process is anything like ours, you guys never had a chance to see the budget or fee increases as they do not have to be voted on by the general public, but go though the legislature as part of the general budget process.

What I could never understand is how, if I buy a used vehicle from a private owner, that I should owe the State, and County a Sales Tax.

I do have a comment about the License plate tolling on the E-470. Very convenient. A lot nicer than having to buy one of those transponder things for the same basic service. However, I feel bad for the toll workers it will put out on the street though, just what we need in these times, a way to put people out of work...

-Ron

I do have a comment about the License plate tolling on the E-470. Very convenient. A lot nicer than having to buy one of those transponder things for the same basic service. However, I feel bad for the toll workers it will put out on the street though, just what we need in these times, a way to put people out of work...

-Ron

FYI the Transponder is free, we just go to the local grocery store and ask for one. So far they still have all of the toll booths open, so I haven't seen anyone loose their job...yet. I figured that when this went into affect that the booths would be shut down, but there still open, and I'm amazed at how many cars go through the booths to pay, even when the message boards on the highway tell the drivers to bypass the toll booths.

I was trying to remember how long I've had my camper stored in the back.

Then I started thinking about XJgrin's MJ trailer and how easy it was to get a new vin.

Re-reading Yella's post it dawned one me that my pickup sat so long the registration "fell out of the system." Since they had no record of my old plates, they had to issue new plates. But that was not even in this century. FWIW

Back