• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Replace Door Inner/Outer Window Seals

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
These seals are the wiper seals at the bottom of the door windows. I replaced these on a 1992 4-door XJ with electric windows. Likely the steps will be the same for other years and for manual windows.

1) Purchase seals from Quadratec

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?kw=window+seal&submit=Go

I believe these may be available from Amazon as well

2) Do the following for each door:

3) Remove the arm rest by removing two large phillips screws. For front doors rotate the rest 90 degrees and pull to get the hand-hold part to release.

4) Remove 3 phillips screws holding door release arm, locks, and electrical.

5) Start at the bottom of the door panel. Insert a thin broad pry between panel and door. Gently pry up the plastic panel retainers along the bottom and up each side of panel.

6) Pull panel upwards to pull its top hooked surface out of the groove in the inner window seal.

7) Remove panel from door release arm, locks, and electrical assembly by rotating panel somewhat and sliding assembly thru rectangular hole in panel. You will have to wrestle it a bit.

8) Some jeeps have a nice door seal that, while glued on, can be removed without damage. Carefully remove, expecting to replace it undamaged. The two plastic attachments for the arm rest will have to be removed. This id difficult since they must be squeezed from behind. If just pulled they will be damaged and the arm rest will be forever loose thereafter.

9) My '92 had a cheap plastic barrier that could not be pulled loose. It is better to slit this barrier horizontally about the middle of the door cavity and tape it shut later.

10) Lower window until the point where the regulator attaches to the bottom of the window is just in view.

11) Use torx T-30 to remove screw that connects regulator to bottom of window. This connection is accomplished with the bolt and a plastic washer arrangement on both sides of the window. The washer will turn when the bolt is loosened and if so the bolt will not unscrew any further. You may be able to reach behind the window and hold the washer. If you can't hold it tightly enough, use a pair of channel locks artfully inserted into the door.

12) Lower the now-disconnected regulator all the way to bottom position.

13) Slide window past regulator to an even lower position in the door. Be careful the regulator doesn't scratch window.

14) Window now is below the door seals. Pry up inner, then pry up outer. This should be easy. Inner clamps around door, outer is slid into 3 small clips.

15) Insert new seals.

16) Reverse the process above. At the point where you slit the seal, tape the slit up.

Took about 3 hours to do 4 doors.

Good luck!

I don't know for sure if we are talking about the same thing, but I changed out the horizontal bottom wiper seals on the front doors of my '93 without taking anything apart?

Seals came from TeamCherokee.com but I don't know how price compares or whether they are still available.

Yep, same thing, horizontal wiper seals.

You might post how you did this. It may be possible to replace the outer without removing anything, but the door panel at least must come off to do the inner. Seals come off really easy with the window out of the way.

I must apologize! I only replaced the outer wipes on my '92 three years ago this month.

I had some instructions but do not remember from where or precisely what. I know for a fact that I took nothing apart.

Your write-up on dismantling the door is excellent and I am in no way intending to take away from that.

I did want to ease the way for anyone replacing just the wipes. There is a tool to remove the wipes, at least the exteriors, but I think I just used a small thin screwdriver. Will plug this in to my wee brain and get back.

No apology necessary! Glad you have added your experience about the outer wipes. I also only replaced the outers, but I did not know that this could be done without taking the door apart. Before I started I searched NAXJA for a "how to" but could find nothing. So now our post here will give someone in the future some choices!

The outer piece just pulls off and new piece back in.

Now, a decade passes and my outer, front door, window seals need replacing again. These are the horizontal rubber strips at window bottom on the outside on my '92 XJ 4 door with electric windows.
The links in the previous posts have died with the passage of time.

I purchased new strips once again from Quadratec.

Front, outer driver side (4 door jeep): Quadratec 55014-8105, Crown Automotive Part #: 55235409, $13.99
Front, outer passenger side (4 door jeep): Quadratec Part #: 55014-8104, Crown Automotive Part #: 55235408, $13.99

I'm pleased to report that Pelican is correct! Replacement of the -outer- seals is easy. Just roll the window down and pull the old one up. Slide the new one into the three clips that are exposed when the old one is removed. Cake!
I did not replace the inner seals.

Perhaps I'll visit this thread again in 2034 or so....

Back