• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

make a heat shield for between the Starter and CAT?

Based on the research I have done for work, most limits for starters are between 100*C and 150*C. Most are on the lower side.

I'm going to shoot it with the temp gun next time I'm driving for an extended period.

Good info right there!

qa4eperu.jpg

tanapagu.jpg

mac 'good times' gyvr

I know that guy.

make a heat shield for between the Starter and CAT?

Based on the research I have done for work, most limits for starters are between 100*C and 150*C. Most are on the lower side.

wrap it in header tape?

as long as you're not cranking the snot out of it the starter won't make enough heat to damage itself, even if fully wrapped.

I agree that electric motors do not like heat.

Next time one fails I'd be interested to see if it's a failed armature or if the brushes broke because they were stupid hot.

FWIW the lifetime warranty starters don't generally rebuild the armature. That's why they're a crap shoot on longevity.

wrap it in header tape?

as long as you're not cranking the snot out of it the starter won't make enough heat to damage itself, even if fully wrapped.

I agree that electric motors do not like heat.

Next time one fails I'd be interested to see if it's a failed armature or if the brushes broke because they were stupid hot.

FWIW the lifetime warranty starters don't generally rebuild the armature. That's why they're a crap shoot on longevity.

They offer starter blankets and heat shields on Jegs/summit.

We typically recommend exhaust wrap/blankets in-order to get the excess heat out of the engine compartment, as the starter is usually not our problem spot on our application installs.

Shut out completely...

Definitely wasn't anything like a winterfest raffle...

mac '90% loaded to leave for harlan in the am' gyvr

Forgot I had a 9 hour shift at the part-time tonight until about an hour before. Sitting here now bored to death and I still have 4 hours to go.

Back