• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case questions

Eh. They're not difficult to remove and rebuilding it on a bench makes for a much more pleasant experience than doing all the work under a vehicle. Possible exception being having it on a lift.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Honestly I feel like all the grease under the car makes me want to remove and Clean it anyways so it's a better option. But still good I know you can split the case under the car

im about 9 hours worth of scrubbing this transfer case. and we are 60%~ clean.
the fluid smells really burned. and there is barely any in there. but no metal flakes. so im hoping the shafts are good and just the chain stretched.
Not opening it until I ensure I dont spew nast onto the inside.

look for bluing on the gears (blue on the planetary is normal but not on the gears), that's the best indicator of overheating internally. also check the thrust washers for wear / missing. if there's no bluing and no excess movement on the planetary gears then you are probably fine but if they are blue or move a lot you may need to rebuild.

often times a lot of brass dust and such in the differential from the synchro. 50/50 on cleaning them, sometimes the cruft is holding everything together at the right off-set, and if you clean it out the synchro gets some slop and starts to chatter / skip. I do not know of any aftermarket synchros or differentials.

Good opportunity to upgrade the high-low planetary to six-pinion set. 231 sets are often on ebay. Need one to match the gear cut of your case (94-down and 95-up).

Also Case is apart.
I see no issues on the inside.
No chain slop nothing.
so im going to replace all the bearings and the chain. and if we still have a noise. it'll be in the transmission.

Figured out out.
the chain had a bound ring on it ** not sure if that how to say it**. turning it my hands I can feel it binding up.
All bearings are amazing so I am throwing this new chain in. and sealing her up.
ill do bearings in a few years or just replace the thing.

not sure if anyone else wants to stock up.
but I found these and thats a pretty decent deal.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-6821...321508&hash=item56c4782d7d:g:niYAAOSw4uhcy0GP

$5 a pop for mopar atf
I stocked up on a few. for this and transmission flush

That's the wrong fluid for the transmission. DexII or compatible only. Yeah, I know Chrysler claims it's okay and it's debatable whether it's actually caused any failures, but why risk it?

Using Dexron in the early Chrysler transmissions that needed ATF+4 caused lots of premature failures though.

That's the wrong fluid for the transmission. DexII or compatible only. Yeah, I know Chrysler claims it's okay and it's debatable whether it's actually caused any failures, but why risk it?

Using Dexron in the early Chrysler transmissions that needed ATF+4 caused lots of premature failures though.

Honestly I have been buying and putting that in my transmission which has almost 100k on it. 260k on the car.

from all the research I found...That*fluid is the ATF+4 that mopar originally put in the aw4 from factory and transfer cases.

I had to dig deep into the internet to find out that Mopar 68218057AB was the correct one.
There is lots of wrong information on the internet about this.

TBH. people are running 5w40 oil in the aw4 so I think the transmission is just bulletproof and you can put anything into it and the transmission will survive.

the front output bearing goes bad first, since it gets crap on it from the front drivers tire. If the rest feel good you should pay close attention to that one, sometimes the only one that needs to be replaced

so I put her back together. And the turning motion just does not sound good enough.
In short I am replacing the bearings anyways.
The output shaft bearing I can already feel a small diffence with the new one in there.
Waiting on the slide hammer to remove the blind hole bearing.

I bought that $25 brass punch.
Wow.... I want everyone to have one. its amazing.

TBH. people are running 5w40 oil in the aw4 so I think the transmission is just bulletproof and you can put anything into it and the transmission will survive.

No way!!!

I think you may be confusing people who have put motor oil in the tcase. Which has been done. Ive never seen one instance where someone claimed to run motor oil in an AW4 and im on a lot of Jeep forums.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That's what you get for hanging out on "those" other forums!

Back