• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Craigslist scammers

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
I need some ideas....

Tried selling an antique here in Ca. and got nothing but scammers.

You know the routine, "I'm out of the country, will send you a huge check, you cash it and keep what's yours, send the rest back, blah,blah, blah...."

I've been stringing this a-hole along for a week now, and got him/her to send a check for 1800 bucks to Phil McCrackin at my sister-in-laws' house.

They sent the money through Fed-Ex so I know there is a few bucks outlay there. But I need ideas on how to keep this fish on the hook. I'd love to get this J/O to have to put out more of his money before I slam the door on him...

In case you don't know, the way the scam works is they send me a bogus check and I'm supposed to go to the bank and cash it. Then I'm supposed to keep what's mine (300) plus 50 bucks for my trouble. Then I'm supposed to go to western union and wire the balance (1450) to some BS address they came up with. Then e-mail them back and let them know the money was sent.

What makes this all work is, they ask me for the following:

Sender's Name and Address
Actual amount sent after western union charges
10 digit Money transfer Control Number(MTCN)
Current time for the pickup.

Armed with that information, they can walk into any western union anywhere in the world and pick up the cash.

Then later of course, my bank finds out the check is bogus and I'm on the hook for the original amount. Or possibly end up in jail for check fraud...

So far, the only thing I've been able to come up with is to tell them they spelled my name wrong on the check and the bank won't cash it so they will have to send me another one. If they fall for it, it will cost them another few dollars to send me another check. But I doubt I can do that more than once before they figure out I'm scamming them.

Any ideas how to get these scumbags to cough up some of their "hard earned cash"??

I would give your idea a try, and see if they fall for it.

You aren't dealing with the sharpest cons in the world. You might get away with it one or two times more.

Good luck, it is a fine thing you do!

Tell them that you've decided to put the cash in with the item and you are shipping it to him, then ship a box with a brick on some monopoly money with a $100 COD to them, you can also make them pay the shipping charges as well via COD.

Tell them that you've decided to put the cash in with the item and you are shipping it to him, then ship a box with a brick on some monopoly money with a $100 COD to them, you can also make them pay the shipping charges as well via COD.

I may try that as a last resort. It'll be difficult, as I'm sure they are not even in the country...

Give them a bogus MTCN, tell them its sent. they will say its wrong, so say you will talk to Western Union, send them another bogus MCTN, say you made a mistake on the MCTN, see how much of thier time you can wast having them go back multiple times. Say it will be sent but then make an excuse as to why you couldnt. Just see how long you can string them out.

Give them a bogus MTCN, tell them its sent. they will say its wrong, so say you will talk to Western Union, send them another bogus MCTN, say you made a mistake on the MCTN, see how much of thier time you can wast having them go back multiple times. Say it will be sent but then make an excuse as to why you couldnt. Just see how long you can string them out.

Just like the link I posted. :)

+ chronic diarrhea.

I like that, but you might be treading a little close to mail fraud yourself.

Robert

AHAHAHAHA!!!

So I've been stringing this tard along for almost 2 weeks now and I think he's starting to suspect something... Of course s/he's too stupid to track his own package. Fedex says it won't arrive until tomorrow, but s/he's been after me for 3 days now wanting to know why I haven't wired them any money.

Here's the latest communique...

Hello, this now seems to me that you want to run away with my hard
earned money.After all this days i have not heard from you..i will
have to involve the FBI and the local CIA on this cos it seems you want
to screw me.and you have refused to reply my mails concerning the
money i sent to you..all our conversation chain is been watched by the
federal bureau..and besides,i have a cousin that works as a fraud
investigator for FBI..i will be giving you 4 hrs to get back to me
with the money transfer details or else..................

This is his contact office address in-case you want to verify.......

Federal Bureau of Investigation
935 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20535
ATTN: International Cyberfraud Unit

GOOD DAY

DON`T TRY TO PLAY WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhh, whatever shall I do. Now I have the FBI and the CIA after me... EEEKK!!

Now you hook him back in, by saying your so sorry I was in a car wreck and was on life support for the last week, I will have you the MTCN tommorw after I get a new wheel chair because my first one stolen....etc.....

lol

Oh Lordy Lordy....Whatever will you do?

Just tell him that your first boyhood goat died and you're still in mourning. I'm sure he'll share the cultural similarities and forgive you.

Back